Two months after force majeure was declared on exports of Qua Iboe, the nation’s largest crude oil stream, ExxonMobil is offering a cargo of the grade to be loaded next month.
This is coming as the first offer since Mobil Producing Nigeria, a subsidiary of ExxonMobil, declared force majeure on the grade in July, sources told Reuters on Tuesday.
Force majeure is a legal clause that allows companies to cancel or delay deliveries due to unforeseen circumstances.
ExxonMobil declared force majeure on the grade in mid-July after a leak on the pipeline that feeds the oil to the export terminal.
Militant group, the Niger Delta Avengers, had said in July that it blew up the oil giant’s 48-inch crude export pipeline in Akwa Ibom State that feeds the Qua Iboe Terminal, which has capacity to export more than 300,000 barrels per day.
It was not immediately clear if the pipeline was already repaired, or if the company simply expected it to be back online in time to load the oil in October.
The cargo is offered for October 8-16 loading at a premium of $1.80 per barrel to dated Brent, sources said.
A spokesman for ExxonMobil said the force majeure remained in effect but did not give a time frame for the resumption of regular oil flows.
The Manager, Media and Communications, Mobil Producing Nigeria Unlimited, Mr. Oge Udeagha, had in July told our correspondent that the force majeure was declared due to a system anomaly observed during a routine check of the firm’s loading facility on July 14, 2016.
“We are working to ensure loading activities at the facility return to normal. The Qua Iboe Terminal is operating and production activities continue,” he had said.
Nigeria has struggled to maintain its crude oil production following a spate of militant attacks and technical problems that in May pushed production briefly to 30-year lows.
The country may be through the worst of the disruptions from militant attacks and other incidents that affected almost half its oil production last month, according to Bloomberg.
The volume of crude supplies subject to force majeure is diminishing after reaching almost 900,000 barrels per day last month.
Royal Dutch Shell Plc lifted the force majeure on Bonny Light crude last week and the Forcados grade, which had been offline since February, is expected to follow by the middle of the month.
Global oil benchmark, Brent, fell by three per cent or $1.07 on Tuesday to $47.25 per barrel after both the world’s consumers and producers revised forecasts that signalled the global crude glut persisting for much longer than previously expected.
The International Energy Agency, which advises oil-consuming countries on their energy policies, said a sharp slowdown in oil demand growth, coupled with ballooning inventories and rising supply, meant that the market would be oversupplied at least through the first half of 2017.
Prepaid Meter is Free, Buhari Warns DisCos, Agents
President Muhammadu Buhari once again warned Power Distributing Companies (DisCos) and their agents selling prepaid meters to electricity customers against the Federal Government directive that meter is free.
Ahmed Rufai Zakar, the Special Adviser to the President on Infrastructure, who represented Buhari at the FGN/NLC-TUC ad-hoc committee on electricity tariff stakeholders held in Ibadan, Oyo State on Wednesday, said President Buhari understood people’s concerns on issues surrounding electricity and was determined to curb and deal with unscrupulous individuals in the power sector.
He said, “We have made it very clear through the regulators direct order as well as intervention from the Ministry of Power that the meters are to be provided to Nigerians at no cost.
“Even for meters that were paid for, there is the directive from the regulator to the discos that they would need to find a way to reimburse those citizens over time.
“In cases where we find any disco or disco representative selling the meters or exploiting Nigerians to be able to get meters by paying, we would take the full measures of the law.
“The President has mandated that these meters must be free. We have also said that they must come from local manufacturers.
“This would create jobs and revive our industry.”
Nigeria’s Real Estate Sector Shrinks by 8.06% in the Third Quarter -NBS
Economic uncertainty plunged Nigeria’s real estate sector by 8.06 percent in the third quarter of the year, according to the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS).
Nigeria’s statistics office said “In nominal terms, real estate services recorded a growth rate of –8.06 per cent in the third quarter of 2020, indicating a decline of –11.78 per cent points compared to the growth rate at the same period in 2019, and by 9.12 per cent points when compared to the preceding quarter.
“Quarter-on-quarter, the sector growth rate was 18.92 per cent.
“Real GDP growth recorded in the sector in Q3 2020 stood at -13.40 per cent, lower than the growth recorded in third quarter of 2019 by –11.09 per cent points, but higher relative to Q2 2020 by 8.59 per cent points.
“Quarter-on-quarter, the sector grew by 17.15 per cent in the third quarter of 2020.
“It contributed 5.58 per cent to real GDP in Q3, 2020, lower than the 6.21 per cent it recorded in the corresponding quarter of 2019.”
Nigeria’s economy contracted by 2.48 percent in the first nine months following a 6.10 percent and 3.62 percent contraction in the second and third quarters respectively.
Nigeria Requires N400 Billion Annually to Maintain Federal Roads -Senator Bassey
The Chairman of the Senate Committee on road maintenance, Senator Gersome Bassey, on Friday said Nigeria requires about N400 billion annually to maintain federal roads across the country.
The Senator, therefore, described the N38 billion budgeted for road repairs in the 2021 proposed Budget as grossly inadequate. According to him, nothing meaningful could be achieved by the Federal Roads Maintenance Agency (FERMA) with such an amount.
He said, “For the 35 kilometres federal roads in the country to be motorable at all times, the sum of N400bn is required on yearly basis for maintenance.”
Bassey “What the committee submitted to the Appropriation Committee in the 2021 fiscal year is the N38bn proposed for it by the executive which cannot cover up to one quarter of the entire length of deplorable roads in the country.
“Unfortunately, despite having the power of appropriation, we cannot as a committee jerk up the sum since we are not in a position to carry out the estimation of work to be done on each of the specific portion of the road.
“Doing that without proposals to that effect from the executive, may lead to project insertion or padding as often alleged in the media.”
Business2 months ago
Npower News on Permanency for Batch A, B
Business2 months ago
Buhari Budgets N420 Billion for Npower, Other Social Investment Programmes in 2021 Budget
Forex2 months ago
Naira Improves Against Global Counterparts on Black Market
Forex3 months ago
Zenith Bank Joins Other Banks to Cap International Spend Limit at $100/Month
Cryptocurrency3 months ago
Bitcoin Gains 1.67 Percent to $11,050 Per Coin Amid Liquidity Issue
Business3 months ago
FG to Absorb Exited N-power Beneficiaries into New Program
Business3 months ago
FG Approves Stipends for Exited N-Power Beneficiaries
Stock Market3 months ago
Zenith Bank Declares 30 Kobo Interim Dividend for H1 2020