Nigeria and its counterparts in the West African region may continue to see delays in investment even after a rebound in the global oil markets, where low prices have forced firms to put major projects on hold.
Development is likely to recover much more slowly in the region than elsewhere as a result of other problems plaguing the West African oil and gas landscape, according to Reuters.
High costs bedevil the region, which includes established producers such as Nigeria and newer entrants like Ghana. Add to this long-standing problems of poor infrastructure, complex bureaucracy and politics, and West Africa may be well down the list for any investment revival.
A dive in oil prices since mid-2014 has forced international energy companies to postpone or cancel hundreds of billions of dollars in investment all over the world.
Already, Gabon has cut its 2016 budget because of low oil income and Ghana is considering doing the same. African oil exporters further afield, such as Angola, are also feeling the pain.
“There is no doubt that the amount of capital expenditure over the next five years will be severely reduced. From the bigger producers like Nigeria and Angola to the smaller producers, the capital will just not be available,” said an African oil and gas project specialist at DrillingInfo, Andrew Hayman.
According to the United Nations, overall foreign direct investment in Central and West Africa, which includes major oil and gas projects, fell 44 per cent to $14.2bn last year, greater than the 31 per cent drop for Africa as a whole.
The number of oil and gas rigs in the region dropped by two thirds to 18 in December 2015, compared with the same month in 2014, according to US-based oil service firm, Baker Hughes, which conducts surveys on rig activity globally.
“Capital investors are getting cold feet about new investment. Countries in West Africa will be lower down their list so investment will be longer coming back,” Hayman said.
Abuja to Kaduna Train Service to Resume on Monday, November 28, 2022
Barring any last-minute change, Abuja to Kaduna train service is expected to resume operation on Monday, November 28, 2022.
This is coming after eight months when operation along the route was suspended due to a deadly terrorist attack on the train.
It could be recalled that the attack which happened at night led to the death of no less than eight people while 168 passengers were kidnapped.
Early this month, the minister of transportation, Mu’azu Sambo disclosed during a presidential briefing that Abuja to Kaduna train service will resume operation before the end of this month, Investors King learnt.
Mu’azu noted that following the release of the last badge of those that were held hostage, the ministry has been putting security measures in place to forestall any future occurrence of such a sad experience.
Sources confirmed that contractors were at the Idu rail station to install the tracker and cameras which will enhance security along the train corridor.
Speaking in the same line, the Managing Director of the Nigeria Railway Corporation, Fidet Okhiria disclosed that the government has set up a high-level committee that will fine-tune a way to ensure adequate security for both the train passengers and the facilities.
“Government has set up a committee to ensure maximum security for both train passengers and facilities during operation. We believe proper security measures should be put in place and until then, the Federal Government won’t approve the functioning of the train station,” Okhira stated in September.
Meanwhile, the federal government has stated that millions of Nigerians will soon prefer to travel by train as the government is committed to connecting virtually all states in Nigeria to the train services.
The ministers of transportation who disclosed this during a working visit to the train station in Lagos State noted that the ministry has a number of ongoing rail projects which include Lagos to Kano, Port Harcourt-Maiduguri, and Kaduna to Kano.
He revealed that at the completion of the rail projects, it will be much easier for Nigeria to commute from one state to another.
Increase in Price of Food is Imminent; Farmers Association Warns
Farmers under the aegis of the Smallholder Women Farmers Organisation in Nigeria (SWOFON) have joined a growing list of associations and experts who have warned of food scarcity in Nigeria.
SWOFON noted during an event in Abuja that Nigerians will likely spend more on food if the federal government failed to address the challenges faced by farmers due to flooding.
Investors King had reported that a series of ravaging floods destroyed several houses and farmlands across the country.
According to the National President of SWOFON, Mary Afan, if relevant government agencies failed to give financial aid to farmers and improve security around the country, it could lead to high cost of food which might result in increased hunger for the vulnerable Nigerians.
“The implication of this massive flooding is that the prices of food will rise higher owing to its unavailability.
“This will deal a great blow to the over 90 million Nigerians currently leaving below the poverty line and the over 21 million Nigerians currently experiencing acute hunger,” the president noted.
She noted that small farmers who are women have lost many of their farmlands due to the ravaging floods. She added that members of the association are also short of seeds to plant during the next farming season.
“While some farmers are gradually returning to their homes as the water recedes to pick up whatever is left of the destruction, others cannot go back home or to their farms. Some have lost the courage to start all over and others have totally lost hope,” she lamented.
Also speaking at the event, the Director-General of the Budget Office of the Federation, Prof Ben Akabueze admonished the association to seek federal government intervention through the national assembly.
It could be recalled that the Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development, Hajiya Sadiya Umar Farouq had disclosed that about 123,000 farmlands were partially destroyed while about 392,000 farmlands were totally destroyed due to the devastating floods.
Nigerian Governors Forum Rejects Sale of 10 Power Plants by FG, Considers Legal Action
State governors objected sales of 10 power plants
The 36 state governors in Nigeria under the aegis of the Nigerian Governors Forum (NGF) have announced their rejection of the sale of 10 power plants in the country.
The governors who issued a communique noted that they going to file a lawsuit against the federal government to stop the privatisation.
According to the communique which was signed by the chairman of the Nigerian Governors Forum, Aminu Tambuwal, the forum has ordered its lawyers to approach the federal high court to stop the privatisation.
They argued that the power plants which are under the National Integrated Power Projects (NIPPs) and managed by the Niger Delta Power Holding Company (NDPHC) are owned by the three tiers of government. That is the federal, state governments, and local government councils.
Investors King could recall that in 2021, the National Council on Privatisation (NCP) approved the adoption of a fast-track strategy for the privatisation of five major power plants. The power plants include Geregu II in Kogi State, Omotosho II in Ondo State, Ihovbor in Edo State, Olorunsogo II in Ogun State, and Calabar power plants.
Other power-generating companies lined up for privatisation include Omoku Generation Company, Ogorode Generation Company, Gbarain Generation Company, Alaoji Generation Company, and Egebma Generation Company.
Although the House of Representatives had also objected to the privatisation, the Bureau of Public Enterprises (BPE) nonetheless announced that it has commenced due diligence assessment of the 16 pre-qualified investors shortlisted for the acquisition of the plants. A development that is in contrast to the position of the state governors.
Meanwhile, the governors’ forum also noted that it is working with the federal government to address the issue of flooding which has ravaged many homes and farmlands across the country.
The forum stated that all the affected states are collaborating with the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development, Federal Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development, National Emergency Management Agency, the CBN, and the World Bank to ensure emergency interventions to ameliorate the adverse impact of the devastating flood.
Faceoff as Humanitarian Minister Writes Finance Minister on N206bn Budget Padding
Xiaomi Launches Black Friday Sale With Discounts and Extra Gifts on Smartphones
FG to Boost Internet Connection in OAU, Unilag, Unilorin, and 14 Other Institutions
News3 weeks ago
Npower News: What You Need to Know Before Taking ‘Work Nation’ Eligibility Test
News3 weeks ago
Npower Introduce ‘Work Nation’ Program For Batch C, Stream 2 Beneficiaries
News4 weeks ago
Npower News: Npower Beneficiaries Receives August Payment, Awaiting September
Travel5 days ago
Nigerians Eligible For Residence Permit in Norway
Education4 weeks ago
Jamb UTME Result 2022: Use Registration Number to Check Jamb Result
Business4 weeks ago
Abuja to Kaduna Train Service to Resume Operations Soon
News1 week ago
Npower News: NASIMS Announced “Work Nation’s” Minimum Cut-Off Mark
News3 weeks ago
Npower News: NASIM Provides Requirements Resolution For Failed August Stipend