- Shell Faces Lawsuit over Activists’ Execution
The widow of a Nigerian activist is planning to sue Royal Dutch Shell in the Dutch courts alleging the oil company was complicit in the execution of her husband by the Nigerian military in 1995, court documents filed in the United States last week show.
Esther Kiobel, according to Reuters, has filed an application in New York to secure documents from Shell’s US lawyers, which she could use in the Dutch action.
The filings with the US District Court for the Southern District Court of New York said she planned to begin that action before the end of the year.
“Ms. Kiobel will demonstrate that Shell encouraged, facilitated, and conspired with the Nigerian government to commit human rights violations against the Ogoni people,” a memorandum in the application filed last week said.
A Shell spokesman said yesterday: “Shell remains firmly committed to supporting fundamental human rights in line with the legitimate role of business. We have always denied, in the strongest possible terms, the allegations made by the plaintiffs in this tragic case.”
Kiobel previously took her lawsuit to the US but the US Supreme Court ruled in 2013 that the case could not be heard because the alleged activities took place outside the country.
In 2009 prior to that ruling Shell had agreed in the US to pay $15.5 million to settle lawsuits related to other activists executed at the same time as Barinem Kiobel, including author and environmental activist Ken Saro-Wiwa.
Kiobel’s lawyer did not immediately respond to a request for comment yesterday.
John Donovan, who runs the royaldutchshellplc.com protest website, and who has advised Kiobel on the case said: “She’s going after Shell in their home country, the Netherlands.”
The Nigerian military cracked down heavily on local opposition to oil production by a Shell joint venture in the Niger Delta in the early 1990s. Kiobel alleges that Shell provided support to the military in its crackdown.
A Dutch court ruled in December that Shell may be sued in the Netherlands for oil spills at its subsidiary in Nigeria, although it did not say Shell was responsible.
FG Includes Emirates Airlines in Restricted Flights
FG Restricts Emirates Airlines From Flying Nigeria
The Federal Government on Friday said it has included Emirates Airlines in the list of airlines not allowed to fly into Nigeria as part of measures to contain the spread of COVID-19 in Nigeria.
Hadi Sirika, the Minister of Aviation, disclosed this via his official Twitter handle on Friday.
According to him, the decision was taken after a meeting between members of the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19 and European Union ambassadors.
The minister said the ban would take effect on Monday, September 21, 2020.
“The PTF sub-committee met today with EU Ambassadors to discuss Lufthansa, Air France/KLM ban. The meeting progressed well. Emirates Airlines’s situation was reviewed & they are consequently included in the list of those not approved, with effect from Monday the 21st September 2020,” Hadi Sirika tweeted.
“The PTF sub committee met today with EU Ambassadors to discuss Lufthansa, Air France/KLM ban. The meeting progressed well. Emirates Airlines’s situation was reviewed & they are consequently included in the list of those not approved, with effect from Monday the 21st Sept. 2020.”
FG to Absorb Exited N-power Beneficiaries into New Program
Exited N-power Beneficiaries to Be Absorbed into Another Program
The Federal Government has commenced plans to absorb exited N-power beneficiaries into a new program in an effort to help them eke a living.
Sadiya Umar Farouq, the Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development, made the statement at an interactive forum with state focal persons of the National Social Investment Programmes in Abuja.
She said: “As we renew our commitment to the service of humanity, I will like to cease this opportunity to once again state that we have successfully exited Batch A and B of the N-Power beneficiaries in June and July respectively and we are still working towards ensuring a transition plan that will further engage or absorb them into other programmes.”
Sadiya also stated that the selection process of the Batch C N-power application will be thorough and base on merit.
“We have also received over 5 million applications from proposed N-Power Batch C and we are currently in the process of selecting the qualified beneficiaries coming into the programme.
“I assure all the applicants and Nigerians that the selection process will be transparent,” she said.
She added that, “I wish to reiterate that I have given approval for the payment of stipends for the exited beneficiaries of batches A and B up to the month of June 2020 including that of the independent monitors. Also, the final payment of stipend for Batch B is almost ready for transmission to the office of the Accountant General of the Federation for final checks and payment.
The minister urged state coordinators to discharge their duties diligently and not let her down.
“It is against this background that I urge everyone of you to continue to give in your best to ensure the lives of those we are called to serve are made better.
“We must not lose sight of the fact that each one of the vulnerable persons are not mere numbers or statistics but real people with dreams, hopes, aspirations and a desire to live decent lives in peace and safety,” he submitted.
FG Says All Airports Are Now Open for Domestic Flight Operations
All Airports Are Now Open for Domestic Flight Operations Says FG
The Federal Government on Monday said all airports in the country are officially open for domestic flight operations.
This was disclosed by the Minister of Aviation, Hadi Sirika, during the briefing of the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19 on Monday in Abuja.
Hadi, however, noted that operators flying into private-owned airports must know the status of such airports.
Speaking at the PTF Briefing, the minister said there is no need for flight approval within Nigeria again as all airports are now opened for domestic operations.
He said, “All airports in Nigeria are now open for domestic flights, including those that are for private charter operations.
“They (operators) will no longer need approvals from us to operate domestically within government-owned airports. However, for the private airports, operators should check their safety status with the Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority.
“Such airports are Jalingo, Uyo, Asaba, Gombe, Nasarawa, Damaturu, Osubi, etc. So you don’t need any approval from the minister, but you should check the status of these airports with the NCAA.”
Commenting on international chartered flights, the minister said they need approvals to flight out of the country.
He said, “All flights out of the country that are private charter will still need approvals for those kind of flights, including technical stops.
“So with this, it means that the approvals that are sent via the NCAA, NAMA and myself will cease and if there is any change, it will be so advised accordingly.”
Business2 months ago
Nneka Ede Purchases Portuguese Football Club, Lusitano Ginasio Clube
News2 months ago
British High Commission to Start Accepting Visa Applications From Nigerians Soon
Business2 months ago
Seplat Appoints Emeka Onwuka as CFO, Executive Director
Forex2 months ago
Naira-USD Exchange Rate to Hit N430 – Report
Finance2 months ago
DSS Arrests EFCC, Acting Chairman, Magu
Government2 months ago
FG Puts School Resumption Plan on Hold as COVID-19 Cases Hit 30,000
Forex2 months ago
Naira Declines Against Pound, Euro After Devaluation
Business2 months ago
TAJBank Joins e-Commerce Giants- Launches Nigeria’s 1st Ethical Online Mall