The federal government on Saturday solicited the understanding of Nigeria’s organised private sector against massive workers’ lay off at the moment, stating that the country’s economy is rather unstable and unable to take the likely shock from such exercise.
The government said in Abuja that the sack of any employee would have serious negative effect not just on the retrenched fellow, but on the country’s larger economy.
Minister of Labour and Employment, Dr. Chris Ngige who spoke at the investiture ceremony of Otis Anyaeji as the 30th President of the Nigerian Society of Engineers (NSE), explained that government would appreciate the understanding of the private sector on such request.
Ngige, who was represented by the Minister of State for Labour and Employment, Mr. James Ocholi, said the role of engineers in job creation could not be over-emphasised, adding that the provision of employment was one of the cardinal objectives of President Muhammadu Buhari.
He therefore urged the private sector operators at the event to continually seek for creative ways to manage their workforce without necessarily increasing the number of unemployed persons in Nigeria through sack or retrenchment.
He said, “I think it is important to state that we should not lay off staff at this critical stage, because if we do, we will be creating more problems. You should try to micro-manage and retain the staff that you have now. Because no matter how much we accommodate, government alone cannot be the largest employer of labour. The largest employer of labour is, of course, the private sector.”
Earlier in his address, the new NSE president said engineering was key to over 95 per cent of the activities in the public and private sectors of the economy.
Anyaeji said engineering infrastructure, industrial and agricultural economics were critical for adequate planning and management of any economy. He noted that the NSE under him would strive to create a national appreciation of engineering as key to Nigeria’s industrialisation.
President Buhari Has Officially Suspends Magu, Says Attorney General’s Office
Buhari Officially Suspends Magu, Says Attorney General’s Office
Nigeria has suspended its anti-corruption chief pending the conclusion of investigations, the attorney general’s office said on Friday, without elaborating.
Ibrahim Magu has been appearing before a presidential panel reviewing activities of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), the agency said on Monday.
“President Muhammadu Buhari has approved the immediate suspension of Ibrahim Magu as Ag. Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC),” the attorney general’s office said in a statement.
The president put EFCC operations director Mohammed Umar in charge pending the outcome of Magu’s case.
Buhari has made tackling corruption a priority since taking office in 2015. Endemic graft among the political elite dating back decades has left most Nigerians mired in poverty, despite the country being Africa’s biggest economy and energy producer.
FG Puts School Resumption Plan on Hold as COVID-19 Cases Hit 30,000
FG Drops School Resumption Plan as COVID-19 Cases Cross 30,000
The Federal Government has dropped plans for certain students to return to school following the surge in COVID-19 cases.
The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) on Wednesday reported that the number of confirmed COVID-19 cases rose to 30,249 on Wednesday.
“Till date, 30249 cases have been confirmed, 12373 cases have been discharged and 684 deaths have been recorded in 36 states and the Federal Capital Territory,” the NCDC stated.
The report forced the Federal Government to drop plans for certain students to return to school.
The Minister of Education, Adamu Adamu, told reporters in Abuja on Wednesday.
“We will not open soon for examinations, or for any reason, unless it is safe for our children,” Adamu after a cabinet meeting.
“Our schools will only open when we believe it’s safe for our children and that is when the situation is right, not when the incidence of the infection is going up in the nation.”
Complete Confirmed COVID-19 Cases by State
|States Affected||No. of Cases (Lab Confirmed)||No. of Cases (on admission)||No. Discharged||No. of Deaths|
FG Approves N109bn Contracts for Four Roads, Hostel
FG to Spend N109bn On Four Roads, Hostel
The Federal Government on Wednesday approved different contracts on roads and others totalling N109.187bn.
The approvals for the contracts were parts of the decision reached at a virtual meeting of the Federal Executive Council presided over by the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.).
The contracts were approved based on the requests of the Ministry of Works and Housing as well as the Ministry of Education.
The Minister of Works and Housing, Babatunde Fashola, told State House correspondents at the end of the meeting that his ministry submitted two memoranda for projects estimated to cost a total of N108.44bn.
He disclosed that the council approved an augmentation of existing contract by N25bn for the completion of the Enugu – Lokponta section of the Enugu – Port Harcourt Expressway.
He said, “The Ministry of Works and Housing presented two memoranda. The first one was to aid the completion of the Enugu – Lokponta section of the Enugu – Port Harcourt highway. It was an augmentation of existing contract by N25bn; the council approved that augmentation.
“The second memorandum was the award of three different roads. The first is Dikwa-Marte-Mungunu road for N60. 273bn and the Numan Road linking Borno and Adamawa for N15.527bn and the third is for Gombi-Biu linking Adamawa and Borno also for N7.643 bn.”
The Minister of Education, Adamu Adamu, said the FEC approved an agreement between the Kaduna Polytechnic and an investor to renovate 18 blocks of student hostels.
The contract, which is a 15-year concession at the cost of N744.26m is under a Renovate Operate, Maintain and Transfer arrangement.
He said, “It will take one year to construct the hostels, after which the contractor will run it for 15 years within which they will recover what they have sunk into the project.
“There are 18 blocks of hostels and each room in a block will house four students. The total number of students to be housed will be 4,032.”
Forex5 days ago
Naira-USD Exchange Rate to Hit N430 – Report
Finance1 week ago
DSS Arrests EFCC, Acting Chairman, Magu
News4 days ago
British High Commission to Start Accepting Visa Applications From Nigerians Soon
Forex1 week ago
CBN Starts Using N380/$ Official Rate, Expects to Make it Official Soon
Finance7 days ago
CBN Spends $11.5bn in Q1 2020 to Support the Economy and Dwindling Naira
News2 weeks ago
Fire Guts Central Bank of Nigeria Office in Gombe
Stock Market1 week ago
Flour Mills, Dangote Cement, Vitafoam Disclose Insider Dealings
Business4 days ago
Seplat Appoints Emeka Onwuka as CFO, Executive Director