The Nigeria Customs Service on Tuesday said it was planning to raise the sum of N1tn as revenue for the Federal Government in the 2016 fiscal period.
The Comptroller-General of Customs, Col. Hameed Ali (retd) disclosed this to journalists in Abuja on the sidelines of an event to celebrate the International Customs Day.
He said the service had yet to receive any revenue target from the Federal Government for this fiscal year, but added that the current leadership would continue to ensure that all revenue leakages were blocked.
The Customs CG noted that the adoption of various electronic measures had assisted in boosting revenue in the last few months.
He said, “We hope and are working to block all leakages and making sure that our system works perfectly; and hopefully, the policy of government will also be in our favour; we hope to hit N1tn in 2016.
“The deployment of e-Customs has boosted the Customs role of providing connectivity between nations divided by artificial borders. Collection of revenue and interception of harmful imports have been made easier with the help of technology.
“In line with the change mantra of the present government, let me remind all operatives and stakeholders alike not to abuse the process and corrupt the system. Any act calculated to distort and compromise the integrity of the e-Customs will not be tolerated and will be met with appropriate sanctions.”
The Secretary General, World Customs Organisation, Mr. Kunio Mikuriya, said that customs administrations across the globe had been encouraged to promote the use of Information and Communications Technology in order to collect and safeguard customs duties, flow of goods, and secure cross border trade.
#EndSARS Protesters Kill as Security Operatives Open Fire at Lekki Toll Gate
Security Operatives Open Fire on #EndSARS Protesters at Lekki Toll Gate
Nigerian security operatives deployed to Lekki Toll Gate following the announcement of a 24-hour curfew by Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, opened fire on peaceful protesters on Tuesday, October 20, 2020.
According to numerous accounts of protesters, the army started shooting even before the curfew announced to commence by 9 pm on Tuesday.
Retweet aggressively the world need to see this 🇳🇬✊
Follow for follow then we move 😭💔💔💔#unarmed #Genocide Lekki #BuhariResignNow Nigeria #EndPoliceBrutalityinNigeraNOW #buhariisamurderer #blacktuesday DJ Switch Tinubu IFO OMATA my God WE WILL NEVER FORGET | Jesus |Toll pic.twitter.com/qRsH13D4c3
— #EndSars (@AkacheSucre) October 20, 2020
So even ambulance wasn’t allowed to go help the peaceful protesters that were shot at Lekki#blacktuesday #EndBadGoveranceInNigeria #EndSARS #EndPoliceBrutalityinNigeraNOW #therewasacountry
Dj Switch pic.twitter.com/EBLipg7bEY
— David Young🇳🇬 (@daveyung333) October 20, 2020
— Dr Remi Adekoya (@RemiAdekoya1) October 20, 2020
Lagos Imposes 24 Hour Curfew as #EndSARS Protest Turns Violent
Sanwo-Olu Imposes 24 Hour Curfew in Lagos as Hoodlums Hijacked #EndSARS Protests
The Executive Governor of Lagos, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, on Tuesday, imposed a 24-hour curfew on all parts of the state as peaceful #EndSARS protest turned violence amid the destruction of properties and lives.
In a statement released by the governor through his official Twitter account @jidesanwoolu, the governor said “I have watched with shock how what began as a peaceful #EndSARS protest has degenerated into a monster that is threatening the well-being of our society.
“Lives and limbs have been lost as criminals and miscreants are now hiding under the umbrella of these protests to unleash mayhem on our state. As a government that is alive to its responsibility and has shown a commitment to the movement #ENDSARS, we will not watch and allow anarchy in our dear state.”
“I, therefore, hereby impose a 24-hour curfew on all parts of the State as from 4pm today, 20th October,2020. Nobody, except essential service providers and first responders must be found on the streets.”
This was after reports of numerous attacks and destruction of properties by certain elements that the Nigerian youths claimed were sponsored by politicians to disrupt their agitation and invalidate the entire protest.
On Monday, prisoners were freed in Benin, Edo State by unknown individuals either sponsored by politicians or part of the protesters that gone rogue or with different agenda.
In Abuja, a group of thugs (sponsored or not) burnt several vehicles claimed to be parked by peaceful protesters while in Lagos, the story is not different as unscrupulous elements have been stealing and attacking people.
With a 24-hour curfew now in place in Lagos and Edo States, the youths agitating may be forced to eventually meet with the government to discuss their demands and implementation methodology.
Buhari Bows to Pressure, Overhauls Murderous Police Unit, SARS
FG, NPF Dissolve SARS Amid Nationwide Protests
President Muhammadu Buhari has finally bowed to pressure to disband the murderous Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) unit of the Nigeria Police Force (NPF).
In a statement released on Sunday, Mohammed Adamu, Nigeria’s Inspector General of Police, said the Special Anti-Robbery Squad unit had been abolished “with immediate effect”. He, however, said SARS officers would be redeployed to other police units, formations and commands that the Nigerian people are saying also needs reform.
This was after President Buhari had said he met with the Inspector General of Police on Saturday to discuss reform of the UNIT against a complete overhaul being pushed by millions of harassed, dehumanised and disrespected Nigerian youths.
The statement further aggravated Nigerian youths, who encouraged Nigerians abroad to stage protests across the nation’s embassies in a move to draw international media and organisations to the plight of youths in Africa’s largest economy. Sensing chaos amid expected economic recession in the third quarter, President Buhari and the Nigeria Police Force quickly dissolved the murderous anti-robbery squad to force decorum and calm millions of angry Nigerian youths.
Nigerian youths, both celebrities, influencers and regular people, have used their social media backed with action to compel the Nigerian government, known for blatant disrespect, disregard and the use of counter-protests to suppress and discredit dissenting voice, to finally put to an end a police unit that has killed several youths for owning an iPhone, having a laptop, driving a car or even looking good.
This is a win for the Nigerian youths and sent a strong message to the leaders that youths will no longer tolerate their excesses and henceforth would be demanding accountability, transparency and the right implementation of the rule of law regardless of class, status or position.
To the youths, it validated what the majority have been clamouring for, UNITY that transcends tribes and religions. If Nigerian youths stick together and continue to demand change in one voice with civil disobedience, we will eventually have a Nigeria we all can be proud of.
Congratulations to US!.
Forex2 weeks ago
Naira Improves Against Global Counterparts on Black Market
Business4 weeks ago
Npower News on Permanency for Batch A, B
Business1 week ago
Buhari Budgets N420 Billion for Npower, Other Social Investment Programmes in 2021 Budget
News4 weeks ago
Jumia Boss Juliet Anammah is Now Flour Mills Board of Director
Technology4 weeks ago
Dell Partners Other Firms to Establish Tech Centre in Nigeria
Government2 weeks ago
#Endsars: Naira Marley Calls Off Protest following Police Invitation
News4 weeks ago
Laycon Bbnaija Biography, Career and Health Issue
News3 weeks ago
Npower News: Beware of Fake Npower Employment, Ministry Warns Exited Beneficiaries