Connect with us

Technology

Consumers Stop Using Galaxy Note 7 – Samsung

Published

on

samsung-galaxy-note-7

Few weeks after Samsung launched its latest mobile phone, the Samsung Galaxy Note 7, the company has advised consumers in some markets, (not Nigeria) to stop using the mobile phone, and to immediately participate in a replacement programme, following further reports of the phones catching fire.

Meanwhile, the company has lost $22billion in market capitalisation as its share price has ranked 11 per cent since Friday last week, the largest two-day decline in eight years, according to Bloomberg.

The call came after the US Consumer Product Safety Commission recommended on Friday that consumers stop using the smartphone and major airlines globally banned use during flights.

Samsung issued a recall for Galaxy Note 7 smartphone in early September in 10 markets, including the US and South Korea, but not in Nigeria, following reported cases that the battery of Galaxy Note 7 phone burst into flames after fully charged.

Defective batteries, which caught fire during charging and normal use, were apparently manufactured by Samsung SDI. Batteries made by its other supplier, Amperex Technology, have not faced the same issues.

Samsung said it is now only using batteries made by Amperex for the Galaxy Note 7 and has ordered an additional four million as replacements, Yonhap reported. The Chinese firm, which also supplies batteries for Apple’s iPhones, is now the sole battery suppler for the Note 7.

Samsung’s battery unit previously supplied about 70 per cent of the batteries for Note 7. The world’s largest smartphone maker reportedly was looking for a third battery supplier but hasn’t found one. As demand for the iPhone 7 models takes off, Samsung could face a supply crunch.

With an estimated 2.5 million Galaxy Note 7 units sold, analysts say the recall could cost Samsung as much as $5 billion in revenue. The smartphone was launched on August, 2, 2016.

The company has lost $22 billion in market capitalisation as its share price has tanked 11 per cent since Friday – the largest two-day decline in eight years, according to Bloomberg.

Samsung issued a statement for the Hong Kong and Macau markets, outlining that “we wish to re-emphasise that Galaxy Note 7s purchased in Hong Kong and Macau from authorised resellers on or after September 2, are not affected by the issue as those batteries are provided by a different supplier”.

It previously said that fewer than 500 Galaxy Note 7s sold in Hong Kong and Macau between 26 August and 1 September “may be affected by the battery issue”. It said a replacement programme is running and it “has been proactively contacting customers who may be affected.

The Galaxy Note 7 is a beautiful, capable Android phone that showcases Samsung’s best in design, speed and features, but not in battery life.

The 64GB base model leaves users with plenty of space for photos, videos and games, and it’s a real improvement over 2015’s Note 5.

The 5.7-inch, stylus-slinging Samsung Galaxy Note 7 is a damn fine phone. Its sexy wraparound glass, precise S Pen and brilliant screen would impress anyone, but it’s ideal for artists, architects and people who would rather write with their own hand than type on a screen.

Is the CEO/Founder of Investors King Limited. A proven foreign exchange research analyst and a published author on Yahoo Finance, Nasdaq, Entrepreneur.com, Investorplace, and many more. He has over two decades of experience in global financial markets.

Continue Reading
Comments

Startups

5000 Startups From Nigeria, Kenya and South Africa Completed Google Training Programme

No less than 5000 startups from Nigeria, Kenya and South Africa have completed the Google Hustle Academy training programme.

Published

on

Start-up - Investors King

No less than 5000 startups from Nigeria, Kenya and South Africa have completed the Google Hustle Academy training programme. The programme was designed to help business owners learn soft skills that complement their hard talents.

Investors King learnt that Google received more than 10,000 applications for this year’s edition. 

It could be recalled that earlier this year, Google announced a plan to train 5,000 African Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) with participants coming from Nigeria, Kenya and South Africa. 

Google noted that participants will go through a training academy where they will undergo five days of hands-on training and receive 3,000 hours of training on fundamental aspects of business to help them navigate the challenges faced by SMEs in Africa.

According to the press statement released by Google Head of Brand & Reputation, Sub Sahara Africa, Mojolaoluwa Aderemi-Makinde after the completion of the training, participants attended a five-day virtual boot camp where they learned how to define their business strategy, increase sales, and how to pitch for investor funding. 

While dividing them into 23 cohorts, they were also trained in digital marketing and effective financial planning.

This is in addition to the one-on-one mentoring sessions received by each participant. The mentoring session was handled by a network of trained mentors and coaches. 

Meanwhile, Aderemi-Makinde further revealed that Google has launched a new speaker series in which successful African entrepreneurs share lessons and advice. 

He added that Google will continue to do more to help African entrepreneurs and small businesses thrive.

“(The) speaker series will allow Small and Medium Businesses to get insight from business owners from an array of sectors, focusing on the issues, themes and subjects they face on a regular basis,” he said. 

He stated that Small and medium-sized businesses are the backbone of the global economy while noting that in Africa, they account for an estimated 80 per cent of jobs. 

Continue Reading

Fund Raising

Nigerian Based Food Tech Startup, Orda Raises $3.4 Million in Seed Funding

Orda Africa has now raised a combined $4.5 million raised by the African-centric food tech company. 

Published

on

orda africa

Nigerian-based food tech startup, Orda announced it has raised a sum of $3.4 million in seed funding after it raised $1.1 million in pre-seed funding at the beginning of this year. This makes it a total of $4.5 million raised by the African-centric food tech company. 

Investors King understands that Orda is an African restaurant cloud operating system that helps restaurants to move from pen and paper to a fully automated digital platform. 

According to the startup, it aims to help more African restaurants maximize their business operations and expand distribution. 

The tech company added that it plans to improve on some new features which include loan, credit, and payment options which will eventually enable its clients to maximize the potential of their business. 

Investors King learnt that this new round of funding was co-led by Quona Capital and FinTech Collective. Other institutional investors which participated in the seed funding include Far Out Ventures, Lofty Inc Capital, Enza Capital, and Outside VC.

In the last one year, Orda has been able to increase its customer base to more than 600 restaurants across Nigeria and Kenya while its weekly processing orders has increased by more than 500 percent. 

Speaking about the growth and focus of the company, Orda’s CEO and co-founder, Guy Futi said “From day one, Orda has been focused on building solutions for small and medium-sized restaurants”.

“These businesses operate with slim profit margins and the power of Orda’s software and financial solutions can catapult their business. Our goal is to provide end-to-end solutions that help them optimize their operations so they become more prosperous”. 

Founded in 2020 by Guy Futi, Fikayo Akinwale, Mark Edomwande, Kunle Ogungbamila, and Namir El-Khouri, Orda has the vision to help small-sized African restaurants optimize their business and achieve sustainable growth.

Meanwhile, the company has attributed its growth over the last 12 months to the excellent team it has put together, a trend it hopes to continue in the coming months. 

Continue Reading

Social Media

Twitter CEO, Elon Musk Alleged Apple Plans to Remove Twitter From iOS Store

Musk claimed that Apple has mostly stopped advertising on Twitter

Published

on

Twitter - Investor sking

Twitter’s new owner and CEO, Elon Musk, has alleged that Apple Inc. is planning to remove the Twitter app from the iOS App Store, the billionaire revealed this in a series of tweets yesterday. 

“Apple has also threatened to withhold Twitter from its App Store, but won’t tell us why,” Musk tweeted on Monday. 

Aside from the threat to remove Twitter from its App Store, Musk also disclosed that Apple has mostly’ stopped advertising on Twitter.

In the following tweet, Musk claimed that Apple has mostly stopped advertising on Twitter. “Do they hate free speech in America,” he asked. 

Investors King had reported that a number of big brands which include Ford, Volkswagen, and General Motors have paused paid advertising on the microblogging platform. 

The brands have alleged that Twitter under the leadership of Elon Musk will open the social media platform to hate speech. 

If Apple eventually removes Twitter from the iOS store, it would be detrimental to Twitter’s business, which is already struggling with a loss of advertisers following Musk’s takeover. 

Millions of users get the Twitter application from the Apple iOS store. Therefore new users will not be able to download the Application on the iOS store while existing users will be deprived of updating the app. 

Washington Post reported that Apple was the top advertiser on Twitter in the first quarter of 2022, spending $48 million on ads on the social platform. 

The newspaper added that Apple’s spending accounted for more than 4 percent of Twitter’s revenue in that quarter.

Although Apple CEO, Tim Cook nor any of the company’s representatives responded to Musk’s post. 

The tweet however caught the attention of United States lawmakers who have proposed bipartisan legislation that aims to dismantle the power that Apple and Google wield through their app stores.

“This is why we need to end the App Store duopoly before the end of this year,” one of the lawmakers, Rep. Ken Buck tweeted. 

“No one should have this kind of market power,” he added.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement




Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending