Malaysian government bond recorded its biggest weekly drop in over two months following a debt default by state owned fund, 1Malaysia Development Bhd.
The sovereign fund reportedly missed an interest payment on a $1.75 billion bond on the 25th of April, triggering cross defaults on about $1.9 billion of the company’s debt, including two other borrowings that are guaranteed by the fund.
Since the news of the default broke-out, the demand for Malaysia’s 10-year bond has dropped. Although, Maybank Investment Bank Bhd said “investors are selling Malaysian 10-year notes ahead of the issuance of another similar maturity bond in May,” analysts believed there might be a connection between current situation and the drop in demand.
“The headline news around 1MDB remains one of the concerns for both onshore and foreign investors,” said Lawrence Lai, an interest-rate strategist at Standard Chartered Plc in Singapore. “In addition, the coming supply of long end also put upward pressure on the yield.”
The FTSE Bursa Malaysia dropped 0.12 percent to 1,672.72 points, its lowest since March. The local currency fell 0.33 percent to 3.903 against the dollar on Friday to end the week with a 0.18 percent marginal decline.
The default overshadowed a positive rally in crude oil prices that has helped strengthen the Ringgit by 10 percent in 2016.
“The ringgit has been helped by rebounding oil prices and the recent installation of the new BNM governor, who is widely considered to be a safe pair of hands,” says Gareth Leather, Senior Asia Economist at Capital Economics. “There had been some concerns that Malaysia’s embattled Prime Minister, Najib Razak, would try and give the position to a political crony.”
On Monday, Malaysian markets will remain closed for Labor Day.
FG Resumes Conditional Cash Transfer Programme Across Six Local Govt. In Kebbi
The Federal Government has resumed the Conditional Cash Transfer (CCT) programme in Kebbi State, commencing with a payment of N9.24bn to 76,107 CCT beneficiaries.
The National Coordinator of the programme, Hajiya Halima Shehu, made the announcement during a state visit to Governor Atiku Bagudu in Birnin Kebbi.
“As at now, payment to CCT beneficiaries is ongoing in the state. A total number of 76,107 beneficiaries across six local government areas of Bagudu, Danko, Wasagu, Dandi, Jega, and Shanga, will be receiving the payment. The beneficiaries will be receiving 26 months of payment circles, starting from January to February 2020.
“The payment will be in two batches of those 60,000 beneficiaries for four payment cycles, using the virtual account. The second batch has 70,107 beneficiaries for nine payment cycles through the debit cards. The total amount for the two batches in the state, according to Shehu, was over N9.24 billion.
“The Federal Government of Nigeria, in partnership with the World Bank in 2016, designed and developed a safety net programme for Nigeria under the platform of National Social Safety Net Programme (NASSP).
“One of the components of NASSP is the national conditional cash transfer office responsible for implementing the household uplifting- conditional cash transfer to the poor and the vulnerable households across the country,” she said.
Shehu commended the governor for providing her an audience and the chance to update him on the commencement of payments and the state’s successful implementation of the program.
Responding, Gov. Bagudu, represented by his Deputy, Alhaji Samaila Yombe-Dabai, thanked the Federal Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development, headed by Hajiya Sadiya Umar-Farouq, for actualising the programme in the state.
“I assure you that the state government will do all it takes to support the success of the programme in the state.
“We are looking forward to getting more local governments to be involved in the cash transfer programme,” Bagudu said.
Ukraine/Russian War: Twitter Heightens Fight Against Misinformation
In the wake of the Russia-Ukarine crisis, Twitter has stepped up its effort to put an end to misleading tweets from official accounts about the war.
Investors King gathered that Twitter has already limited content from more than 300 Russian government accounts, including President Putin. The new change will be effected under the company’s new “crisis” policies.
Twitter will also prioritise labelling false posts from accounts with wide reach, like state media or official government accounts, while preserving them for “accountability” reasons.
Twitter users will now be required to click through the warning notice to view the post and Twitter will disable the ability to like, retweet or share the content. The company said it would also change its search and explore features to avoid amplifying false tweets.
Twitter’s head of security and safety, Yoel Roth, wrote in a blog post announcing the changes saying “Today, we’re introducing our crisis misinformation policy – a global policy that will guide our efforts to elevate credible, authoritative information, and will help to ensure viral misinformation isn’t amplified or recommended by us during crises. In times of crisis, misleading information can undermine public trust and cause further harm to already vulnerable communities.
“Alongside our existing work to make reliable information more accessible during crisis events, this new approach will help to slow the spread by us of the most visible, misleading content, particularly that which could lead to severe harms.
“While this first iteration is focused on international armed conflict, starting with the war in Ukraine, we plan to update and expand the policy to include additional forms of crisis,” Twitter said examples of problematic posts included false or misleading allegations of war crimes, false information regarding the international response and false allegations regarding use of force.
The company said it would rely on multiple sources to determine when claims are misleading. Strong commentary and first person accounts are among the types of tweets that would not be challenged by the policy, it said.
Twitter has approved a $44bn takeover by billionaire Elon Musk, who has criticised its content moderation policies
The new policies come just weeks after Twitter’s board agreed to a $44bn (£34.5bn) takeover offer from billionaire businessman Elon Musk, who has called for less moderated speech on the platform.
Musk had said in the past week that he would revoke Twitter’s suspension of former United States president, Donald Trump.
Modest Increase in the FAAC Payout – Coronation Economic Note
The gross monthly distribution by the Federation Account Allocation Committee (FAAC) to the three tiers of government and public agencies amounted to N725.6bn in April (from March revenue). This shows an increase of 4.4% or N30.6bn from the previous payout.
Based on data in the local media, it was observed that companies’ income tax (CIT), petroleum profit tax (PPT), value-added tax (VAT), oil and gas royalties, import and excise duties recorded increases over the previous month. The FGN received a total of N277.1bn and state governments received N227.2bn, including N53.4bn representing the 13% derivation for the few oil producing states.
The headline figure consists of N337.4bn in gross statutory distribution, N165.6bn from the VAT Pool, and excess bank charges of N7.5bn was recovered. The total deductions for cost of collection was N44.4bn and the total deductions for statutory transfers, refunds and savings was N382.8bn.
The committee disclosed that the balance in the Excess Crude Account (ECA) is USD35.4m.
The average monthly FAAC distribution (N665.1bn in Q1 ‘22) declined from an average of N682.5bn in Q4 ’21 but is slightly above the average of N647.0bn recorded in Q1 ’21.
Based on local newswires, the Nigerian National Petroleum Commission (NNPC) has not made any remittance to the federation account this year due to the high fuel subsidy costs. The NNPC spent N210.4bn (USD500.1m), N219.8bn (USD522.9m) and N245.8bn (USD584.8m) as subsidies on petrol in January, February, and March respectively. This is a total of N675.9bn (USD1.6bn) in Q1 ’22.
The NNPC is expected to deduct N671.9bn from its remittance to FAAC for April which is due for sharing at the May ‘22 FAAC meeting. The estimated total shortfall of N671.9bn comprises of shortfalls recorded in February (N152bn) and March (N519bn).
Money markets saw an inflow of N391bn in early-May ‘22, representing the net distribution to state and local governments. The FGN’s share is directly to the treasury single account.
Analysts at Coronation expect continuous strain with regards to FAAC payouts. According to them, it is imperative for states that depend solely on the inadequate monthly FAAC distribution to seek ways to boost their internally generated revenue. The FGN’s primary objective should be to create a conducive business environment as IGR sustainability is a by-product of an enabling environment.
Government4 weeks ago
IMF/IMFC Warns Russia-Ukraine War Has Humanitarian Consequences
Government4 weeks ago
Strengthening Women’s Role in Politics is Key to Solving Today’s Crises
Cryptocurrency4 weeks ago
IMF is Right: Cryptocurrencies are Ushering in a New World Order
Finance2 weeks ago
Dollar to Naira Today Thursday, 5 May 2022
Finance3 weeks ago
Kigali to Host the Commonwealth’s Landmark African Anti-corruption Conference
Naira4 weeks ago
Naira Improves Against Pounds Sterling and Euro on Monday
Banking Sector3 weeks ago
FirstBank Wins Best Bank in Nigeria and Best Bank in Digital Transformation Nigeria 2022
Finance4 weeks ago
Unilever Nigeria Shakes Off Covid-19 Effect, Records N1.796 Billion Profit in Q1 2022