Connect with us

News

Npower Batch C News: FG Selects Qualified Applicants

Published

on

The Federal Government has announced that it has commenced the selection of qualified applicants from over five million applications received under the N-power Batch C scheme in 2020.

The Permanent Secretary Federal Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development, Alhaji Bashir Alkali, disclosed this on Friday, March 12, 2021.

Alkali said the ministry has started the next stage of the enrolment process for Batch C of the Npower scheme.

It is in view of the aforementioned that the Ministry is requesting all those that have applied for the Batch C N-Power programme to;

  • Check their respective email addresses provided at the point of application for information on how to login to the portal.
  • Visit www.nasims.gov.ng to login to the applicant portal and update their personal information and records.
  • Follow the instructions provided on the portal and take the online test.

For enquiries, applicants are requested to contact the dedicated N-Power helpline+23418885011or email support.npower@nasims.gov.ng,” Alkali stated.

CEO/Founder Investors King Ltd, a foreign exchange research analyst, contributing author on New York-based Talk Markets and Investing.com, with over a decade experience in the global financial markets.

News

Chad’s President Idriss Déby Dies After Soldier Clash With Rebels

Published

on

Idriss Déby, who ruled with an iron fist for three decades and had just secured his sixth term in office, was considered by the West a linchpin in the fight against Islamist extremism in central Africa.

President Idriss Déby of Chad died of wounds sustained in clashes between insurgents and government soldiers, the country’s armed forces said on Tuesday, one day after he had claimed victory in his re-election campaign.

According to the New York Times, It was reported that a spokesman appeared on state television to inform the nation that Mr. Déby, who became feared by his own people over three decades of iron-fisted rule in Chad, was dead.

Mr. Déby had enjoyed the support of France and the United States because his military forces were seen as key to battling Islamist extremism in the central Sahel region. His contribution to the fight against groups like Boko Haram in neighboring Nigeria was viewed as critical in the broader effort to combat terrorism. He, therefore, received robust Western support despite accusations of human rights violations and crackdowns on the opposition during his rule.

There were many questions surrounding Mr. Déby’s death, including how exactly he was killed and what he was doing visiting an area where conflict was raging, if indeed he was.

The late president’s son, Mahamat Idriss Déby, will take over as the head of a new transitional military council that will rule for 18 months before new elections are held, the spokesman said. The government and national assembly were suspended, borders closed and a two-week mourning period announced.

The news was relayed to the country by a man who was identified as a spokesman for a transitional military council, Gen. Azem Bermandoa.

“​The president of the republic, head of state, supreme chief of the army, Idriss Déby Itno, just drew his last breath while defending the nation’s integrity on the battlefield,” the spokesman, surrounded by soldiers and wearing a red beret and army fatigues, said in the broadcast.

On the same day as the presidential election, April 11, rebels crossed the northern border from Libya. Mr. Déby, 68, had been on the front lines in the north of the central African country, directing the fight against the rebel incursion, according to his campaign director, Mahamat Zen Bada.

Those rebels, from a group called the Front for Change and Concord in Chad, moved southward in several columns and claimed to have “liberated” a province of the country last week.

They reportedly beat a retreat to the north on Monday night, after reports of heavy losses on both rebel and government sides. But for the roughly 1.5 million residents of Ndjamena, the capital, solid information was hard to come by, with rumors spreading furiously.

Late into the night, gunshots rang out across the capital, though it was unclear why. Some residents theorized that the military had been celebrating victory after the rebels had fallen back.

Mr. Déby had been scheduled to give a victory speech on Monday to celebrate winning his sixth term in office, but his campaign director said that he had instead visited Chadian soldiers battling insurgents advancing on Ndjamena.

“The candidate would have liked to have been here to celebrate,” Mr. Zen Bada, the campaign director, had said, according to local news reports. “But right now, he is alongside our valiant defense and security forces to fight the terrorists threatening our territory.”

Over the three decades, since Mr. Déby seized power, he faced a number of challenges to his rule. Rebels reached the capital in 2006 and 2008. The president’s forces fought them off, with the “discreet” support of France, according to academics focused on Chad.

But in 2019, when Chad asked the French force in the Sahel for help in dealing with another incursion, Paris was less discreet about the support and obliged by launching a series of airstrikes on the rebels.

Jean-Yves Le Drian, the French foreign minister, told Parliament at the time, “France intervened militarily to prevent a coup d’état.”

Mr. Déby was re-elected largely on the promise of restoring peace and security to a country gripped by years of violence instigated by insurgent groups. Tensions rose in the days before the latest elections, but officials had urged calm.

On Monday, security forces and armored vehicles were posted to Ndjamena’s streets, prompting residents of the capital to fill up their tanks with gas, pick up their children early from school and hunker down at home. Chad’s communications minister had called for calm and wrote on Twitter on Monday that the presence of the security personnel had been “misinterpreted.”

Continue Reading

News

Africanews, Part of the Euronews Group, Celebrates its Fifth Anniversary

Published

on

africanews - investorsking.com

Africanews, part of the Euronews group, will celebrate its fifth anniversary on 20th April 2021. To mark the event, the pan-African news channel will offer special coverage from 19th April to 9th May and will launch a new brand campaign.

The special coverage will look back at what has happened in Africa in the last five years, how the continent is rising today to the challenge of the COVID-19 pandemic, as well as what perspectives, hopes and aspirations people in Africa have for the next five years.

High-profile interviews of voices shaping the African continent in various sectors such as the economy, culture, health, sport, diplomacy, or tech will air daily. These will include Haweya Mohamed, the Franco Somali co-founder of tech company Afrobytes, Samuel Eto’o, Cameroonian international football player, Carlos Lopes, High Representative of the Commission of the African Union, Femi Kuti, Nigerian Musician, son of Fela Kuti, creator of Afrobeat, Phumla Williams, Director-General of the South African Government Communication and Information Systems department in charge of the Covid-19 strategy, Angélique Kidjo, the Grammy award winner singer from Benin, and Didier Drogba, international football player from the Ivory Coast.

Special editions of ‘Morning Call’, presented by Laetitia Lago and ‘Night Shift’, presented by award-winning Nigerian journalist Jerry Fisayo Bambi, will air on 20th April to look back on five years of Africanews. That week, the channel will also air special “fifth anniversary” editions of its flagship shows ‘Business Africa’ and ‘Inspire Africa’, which bring a unique perspective to developments of the continent across economic, cultural and business and entrepreneurial initiatives.

Michael Peters, Euronews and Africanews CEO, said: “We are proud of all that Africanews has achieved in the last five years, it has grown its audience reach and has become a recognisable brand with a unique positioning as an independent unbiased multilingual media made for Africa. Today, Africanews is distributed in over 35 million homes and over 40 countries in Africa, but also in the UK and the USA. Almost half of Africans are aware of Africanews[1]. Audiences are steadily increasing both on TV and digital platforms: Africanews’ social media channels boast 1 million followers/ subscribers and page views on its website & app have increased by over 100% in the last six months alone. We look forward to growing further Africanews’ offer and reach in the next five years.”

Alongside the editorial coverage, Africanews will launch a brand campaign under the tagline “Proud to make your voice heard”, aiming to reinforce Africanews’ mission to cover and amplify the diversity of African voices, to connect Africans with the continent and the rest of the world. The campaign will run across various supports: digital, print, OOH. Content will also appear on partner platforms as well as on Africanews’ owned and operated platforms.

Jerry Fisayo Bambi, Africanews presenter, said: “Today, more than ever, Africanews strives to make African voices heard, through our news bulletins and shows like ‘Inspire Africa’ which I host. Our diversity, and commitment to telling African stories through fact-based impartial journalism, and our increasing reach across the continent sets us apart. I can’t wait to see what we will achieve in the next five years.”

Africanews is the only independent international multilingual news channel made for Africa. Launched in 2016, Africanews reports breaking news from the ground and delivers unbiased reporting. Africanews is available 24/7, both on TV and on digital platforms, in French and in English. With a team of 50 correspondents representing the diversity of Africa, Africanews showcases all the voices shaping the future of the continent.

Both Euronews and Africanews are widely distributed in Africa and beyond. With a combined reach of more than 50% of upscale Africans across the continent, the Euronews group’s commercial team works with brands across the African continent, developing advertising, sponsorship, branded content and specialist events to engage with this affluent and influential audience.

Marianne Michelet, Commercial Director for Africa at the Euronews group, said: “Our direct sales teams and our partners at DSTV in South Africa, work with brands and governments from across the continent, including the likes of Brand South Africa, MTN, Vodacom, African Development Bank and OCP as well as international brands from around the world who are seeking to target this highly attractive and growing audience, recent partners include Orange, Novartis, DP World and many more.”

Continue Reading

Sport Business

FA Cup Semi-Finals, Copa del Rey Final Live on StarTimes

Published

on

Real Madrid's Portuguese forward Cristia

Top-flight European football awaits sports fans this weekend on StarTimes.  

Barcelona will seek their first glory this season as they battle Athletic Club in the Copa del Rey final on Saturday at 8:30 pm

The FA Cup semi-final clash between Tuchel’s Chelsea and Guardiola’s Manchester City will take place Saturday in Wembley at 5:30 pm. Leicester City will face Southampton on Sunday at 6:30 pm.

All matches will be aired live and in HD on StarTimes World Football Channel, currently sitting on its Basic for N1700 monthly and Smart Bouquet for N2200 monthly.

Tuchel has been a perennial trophy-winner with PSG and last season won the double with the club from the French capital.

Like Tuchel, his Manchester City counterpart, Pep Guardiola has made winning trophies his business. He seems on track to win his third league title with the club this season and would love to emulate the 2018/19 season, when they won the double.

Guardiola has an embarrassment of riches when it comes to team-selection, with Ilkay Gündogan and Portuguese centre back Ruben Dias arguably being the stand-out players for the side in the last few weeks.

Despite being a midfielder, Gündogan is the club’s top scorer this season so far and Chelsea will be hard-pressed to keep the German international at bay.

Sunday’s semi-final sees Leicester City take on Southampton and like the Chelsea v Manchester City game, the match will be played at Wembley.

The biggest problem Leicester face is that they are very dependent on the goals of Jamie Vardy and Kelechi Iheanacho, and if the two fail to score, Leicester struggle to win.

For Southampton, appearing in the semi-final is presumably, already a huge success, especially as they had to beat Arsenal to get there.

Continue Reading

Trending