Connect with us

Government

Buhari Orders Police to End Wanton Killings Now

Published

on

Muhammadu Buhari
  • Buhari Orders Police to End Wanton Killings Now

President Muhammadu Buhari yesterday ordered the Inspector-General of Police, Ibrahim Idris, to stem the tide of violence and criminal activities ravaging different parts of the country.

It also emerged yesterday that Buhari considering visiting Sambisa forest, the former enclave of Boko Haram to declare open the Nigerian Army Small Arms Championship NASAC 2017 scheduled to begin on Monday.

Buhari gave this order to Idris to end wanton killings when the IGP visited the president in Aso Rock to brief him on police activities. On Monday, the Chief of Army Staff, Lt. Gen. Tukur Buratai and Chief of Air staff, Air Marshal Abubakar Sadique, had visited the president to brief him on military activities since he proceeded on vacation in London.

Answering questions from newsmen after briefing the president, Idris said the president directed the Nigeria Police to deploy the facilities at its disposal to bring violence in the country under control.

He also said he assured the president that he would act on his instruction, especially by fishing out the prime suspect in last Monday’s killings in Zaki Biam yam market.

According to him, the president gave “a specific directive to ensure that all of us use all the facilities at our disposal to make sure that some of these incidents we are talking about are brought under control as soon as possible.

“I gave the President my assurance that we are going to do that. Like I said earlier, l have deployed a special squad to Benue and we are surely going to get that ‘Ghana’ within a short time.”

Idris denied insinuations that the Zaki Biam massacre which claimed over 50 lives was carried out by Fulani herdsmen. According to him, the killings were carried out by some criminal elements in the state including one ‘Ghana’ whom he said had been on police wanted list.

He further said he briefed the president on police deployment strategies to flash points all over the country, especially places such as Benue, Kaduna and Ile-Ife in Osun State. According to him, both the police special squad and investigation team had been deployed to such places to investigate recent crimes perpetrated there.

On the allegation of bias and unjust arrest of Yoruba men over Ife crisis, Idris did not give a direct and categorical response. Instead, he said: “You know we are police officers. Crime has no tribe. If you are a criminal, you are a criminal. Crime has no face. We don’t look at crime in the identity of where you are coming from. As far as you are a criminal and the police find you wanting, we apply the law.”

He emphasised that mobile units had been deployed to Zaki Biam to ensure that ‘Ghana,’ the prime suspect in the Zaki Biam killings, is arrested, insisting that the crime was not perpetrated by Fulani herdsmen.

“No. I don’t think it’s Fulani herdsmen. It was an activity of a criminal who is using some of his criminal gangs in the state to harass people, that I have assured the governor when I met with him few days ago,” Idris said.

Meanwhile, Buhari yesterday expressed appreciation to the British government “for the very effective materials and logistical support to Nigeria” in the fight against Boko Haram.

The president in a statement by his chief spokesman, Mr. Femi Adesina, said the president observed that in spite of “isolated attacks against soft targets,” British assistance to Nigeria helped in flushing “Boko Haram out of their hide-out base and severely degraded their capacity to mount a serious attack on Nigerian assets.”

Adesina said the president’s appreciation was contained in a condolence letter that he addressed to British Prime Minister, Theresa May, over last Wednesday’s terror attack on parliament building in Westminster, London.

Buhari May Visit Sambisa Forest

In another development, President Buhari is expected in Sambisa Forest, the former enclave of Boko Haram to declare open the Nigerian Army Small Arms Championship NASAC 2017 on Monday.

Boko Haram, who at the peak of their reign occupied towns in Borno, Yobe and Adamawa states had made the Sambisa Forest their stronghold and strategic headquarters until they were pushed out by the military on the eve of Christmas.

The military had subsequently declared the former game reserves as a proposed site for military institution, building roads into it and kick starting the new status of Sambisa Forest with the hosting of the annual Small Arms Competition within it.

He is to be accompanied by the Minister of Defense, Alhaji Mansur Ali and Service Chiefs, Chief of Defense Staff, CDS, General Gabriel Olanisakin, Chief of Army Staff, COAS, Lt. Gen. Tukur Buratai, Chief of Air Staff, CAS, Air Vice Marshal Abubakar Sadique and Chief of Naval Staff, CNS, Vice Admiral Obet Ebas.

The Chief of Training and Operations, Army, Major General David Amadu during a press briefing yesterday in Maiduguri to kick start the NASAC 2017 championship, said other activities that would take place include medical outreach to Bama, Konduga, and Magumeri IDPs camps, educational training for Army Education Corps in Maiduguri, security awareness meetings with the traditional rulers and distribution of relief materials to IDPs within Maiduguri and surrounding towns.

Amadu added that the championship was aimed at testing and shaping the intelligence and professional capacity of the Nigerian Army officers and soldiers as well as equipment.

He said it was also to put the Sambisa forest into proper use and turn it into Nigerian Army training ground as roads and bridges have been constructed and opened to enable the Nigerian Army test its arms, ammunitions and equipment as part of its fire arms demonstration.

Amadu said the firearms demonstration was meant to consolidate the professionalism of the Nigerian Army in protecting the integrity of Nigeria and constitutional role of the Nigerian Army, especially, security.

CEO/Founder Investors King Ltd, a foreign exchange research analyst, contributing author on New York-based Talk Markets and Investing.com, with over a decade experience in the global financial markets.

Government

COVAX Delivered 38m Vaccine Doses To Over 100 Countries, Says WHO

Published

on

The World Health Organisation (WHO) yesterday announced that more than 100 countries have received life-saving COVID-19 vaccines from COVAX, the global mechanism for equitable access to COVID-19 vaccines.

It said the milestone comes 42 days after the first COVAX doses were shipped and delivered internationally, to Ghana on February 24th.

In a statement, the United Nations’ Agency revealed that COVAX has now delivered more than 38 million doses across six continents, supplied by three manufacturers – AstraZeneca, Pfizer-BioNTech and the Serum Institute of India (SII).

Of the over 100 economies reached, 61 are among the 92 lower-income economies receiving vaccines funded through the Gavi COVAX Advance Market Commitment (AMC).

It, however, said despite reduced supply availability in March and April – the result of vaccine manufacturers scaling and optimising their production processes in the early phase of the rollout, as well as increased demand for COVID-19 vaccines in India – COVAX expects to deliver doses to all participating economies that have requested vaccines in the first half of the year.

According to the CEO of Gavi, the Vaccine Alliance, Dr. Seth Berkley, “In under four months since the very first mass vaccination outside a clinical setting anywhere in the world, it is tremendously gratifying that the roll-out of COVAX doses has already reached 100 countries.

“COVAX may be on track to deliver to all participating economies in the first half of the year yet we still face a daunting challenge as we seek to end the acute stage of the pandemic: we will only be safe when everybody is safe and our efforts to rapidly accelerate the volume of doses depend on the continued support of governments and vaccine manufacturers. As we continue with the largest and most rapid global vaccine rollout in history, this is no time for complacency.”

The WHO Director-General, Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, said: “COVAX has given the world the best way to ensure the fastest, most equitable rollout of safe and effective vaccines to all at-risk people in every country on the planet.

“If we are going to realise this great opportunity, countries, producers and the international system must come together to prioritise vaccine supply through COVAX. Our collective future, literally, depends on it.”

Continue Reading

Government

Approved Ibom Deep Sea Port, Proposed $1.4B Fertilizer Plant Will Change Akwa Ibom’s Economic Status – Gov. Udom

Published

on

governor-udom-emmanuel
Prev1 of 2
Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse

Akwa Ibom State Government has said the approved Ibom Deep Seaport and the proposed $1.4 billion Fertilizer and Ammonia Plant are expected to change the economic status of the state.

The State Governor, Mr. Udom Emmanuel, made the assertion in an Easter message to the people of the state.

He maintained that with the recent approval and take off of the federal government’s approved Oil and Gas Free Zone and the ongoing construction of the Sterling Petrochemical Plant at Eastern Obolo, the state would be ready to dump its status as a civil service state.

The governor said the fertilizer and ammonia plants should be supported by all indegenes and residents irrespective of political affiliation because of its capacity to change the economic fortunes of the state.

The governor who commended President Muhammadu Buhari for approving the industrial projects in the state said construction work on the Ibom Deep Seaport would commence very soon.

“In recent past, we have been blessed with life-changing projects such as Sterling Petrochemical Plant in Eastern Obolo, where construction is in an advanced stage.

“Two months ago, the Federal Executive Council, (FEC) approved the license for us to commence the construction of our long desired Ibom Deep Seaport. Work would soon commence on this gigantic project. These are huge achievements for our State and our people.

“Ibom Deep Seaport will open up our economic fortunes; create employment and wealth opportunities for our people and throw open our State as a major maritime hub in our nation.

“We thank the President and the Commander in-Chief of the Nigerian Armed Forces, Muhammadu Buhari (GCFR) for this kind approval,” he said.

Continuing, Emmanuel said: “About three weeks ago, we signed a $1.4 billion Fertilizer and Ammonia plant with our Moroccan counterparts. The plant will again create huge employment and other supply chain activities for our people, which will transform us from a civil service oriented state to a fast industrialising one.

“These are huge achievements that should gladden the hearts of every Akwa Ibomite irrespective of political affiliations.”

He reminded the people of the state that the essence of Easter would be lost if the resurrection of Christ is not allowed to illuminate their souls through love and sacrifice to one another.

“Let the fishermen in the ocean fronts of Mbo, Okobo, Eastern Obolo and Ibeno love one another. Let the farmers in the rice plantations at Ini, Ikono, Ika, Onna and Nsit Ibom love one another.

“Let the civil servants and public servants, politicians in all political parties, members of all denominations, preachers of all faiths, love one another.

“When we let love drive our every action and every thought, when we let it drip from our lips and from our hands, then shall the joy of Easter be complete, and our State shall surely attain the lofty height set for it by our ancestors when they named it Akwa Abasi Ibom State.” the Governor stated.

Prev1 of 2
Use your ← → (arrow) keys to browse

Continue Reading

Government

US Intelligence Says ISIS and Al-Qaeda Are Planning to Attack Southern Nigeria

Published

on

The United States has warned the Federal Government of Nigeria that Al-Qaeda and ISIS are planning to attack Southern Nigeria.

This was disclosed by Dagvin Anderson, the Commander of the US special operations command, Africa.

According to Dagvin Anderson, AlQaeda is planning to expand into the Southern part of Nigeria and other parts of West Africa.

He, however, said the US will continue to share intelligence with Nigeria.

We have engaged with Nigeria and continue to engage with them in intel sharing and in understanding what these violent extremists are doing,” he said.

And that has been absolutely critical to their engagements up in the Borno state and into an emerging area of northwest Nigeria that we’re seeing al-Qaeda starting to make some inroads in. 

“So, this intelligence sharing is absolutely vital and we stay fully engaged with the government of Nigeria to provide them with an understanding of what these terrorists are doing, what Boko Haram is doing, what ISIS-West Africa is doing, and how ISIS and al-Qaeda are looking to expand further south into the littoral areas. 

Anderson regretted that despite successes recorded in previous years, there has been a setback, adding: “We as a community of international nations, keep thinking we have defeated them or we have put them on their back foot and that they’re just moments from disintegration.” Anderson said for international efforts to yield desired results in the fight against terrorism in Nigeria, the government must take the lead. 

“When it comes to Nigeria in general, Nigeria, obviously, is a critical nation to West Africa. It is a critical nation and we realise that Nigeria is a lynchpin,” he said.

Continue Reading

Trending