Connect with us

Technology

Japan Donates $9.7m Solar Power to Nigeria

Published

on

Solar energy - Investors King

The Japanese Government, through its agency, Japan International Cooperation Agency, has donated solar power worth $9.7 million to the Federal Government to boost electricity in the country.

The Ambassador of Japan to Nigeria, Mr Sadanobu Kusaoke, disclosed this in Abuja on Tuesday during the inauguration of the project.

Kusaoke stated that Japan considered the power sector as one of the most important areas to enhance Nigeria’s socio-economic development.

He said, “Since from 1970s, Japan has helped to finance power sector to increase the capacity of power in Kainji dam hydro power station.

“This is the 10th project of power sector by the Japan’s government since then and this will not be our last.”

He said the project which entailed the introduction of clean energy by solar electricity was donated by the government of Japan to boost power and water supply at Usman Dam Water Treatment Plant.

He said, “The project is being executed with grant assistance worth Nine Hundred and Eighty Million Japanese YEN (980,000,000 JPY) (equivalent to approximately 9.7 million USD) through JICA.”

According to Kusaoke, stable power supply is crucial to support industry and to improve economy and the lives of people.

The ambassador emphasised the importance of stable power supply to Nigeria’s quest to diversify her economy.

He commended the designer of the project, Toyota Tsusho Corporation, for its design, management and the completion of the project on schedule.

Kusaoke, who explained that the project was capable of generating 1,496MWH, added that this would result in reduction of N31.5 million per year for payment of the electricity bill.

Earlier, Mr Hirotaka Nakamura, Chief Representative of JICA, Nigeria office, said improving core infrastructure including power sector in Nigeria was one of the priority areas of the agency in Nigeria.

According to Nakamura, developing alternative energy resources such as solar, wind and hydropower will boost electricity in the country.

He explained that the project was designed to introduce a demonstration unit of solar electricity generation system with a view to increasing its economic strength on a sustainable basis.

According to the JICA official, with the Japanese assistance, about 1.2 mw of grid connected solar generation will be gained at Usman Dam Water Treatment Plant to supplement electricity supply from the national grid.

He said, “Following successful tests on the installed solar system, the first phase of the project with generation capacity of 975kwp is being commissioned today.

“The second phase will bring additional 207kwp generation to this system hopefully in January 2017.”

Nakamura further stated that the project would contribute to the improvement of quality water supply in the Federal Capital Territory.

He, therefore, appealed to the FCT administration through its water board to handle the project with care and also provide sufficient funds to maintain the generation system.

In his remark, Alhaji Hudu Bello, the Director, FCT Water Board, who expressed gratitude to the government of Japan and its agency JICA, said the project would improve revenue accruable from the water sector in the FCT.

He said, “This is elaborate project that will improve water supply to the residents of Abuja; it will also reduce the rate at which we consume diesel to pump water.”

Bello said the project would reduce the cost of generating electricity and also contribute power to the national grid to improve supply within the nation’s capital.

Is the CEO/Founder of Investors King Limited. A proven foreign exchange research analyst and a published author on Yahoo Finance, Businessinsider, Nasdaq, Entrepreneur.com, Investorplace, and many more. He has over two decades of experience in global financial markets.

Continue Reading
Comments

Social Media

Meta Shuts Down 63,000 Nigerian Accounts in Sextortion Crackdown

Published

on

Facebook Meta

In a significant move to combat online crime, Meta Platforms Inc., the parent company of Facebook, Instagram, and WhatsApp, has removed 63,000 accounts in Nigeria linked to sextortion scams.

This sweeping action is part of Meta’s ongoing effort to address the growing threat of digital extortion on its platforms.

Unmasking the Scammers

The crackdown, which took place at the end of May, targeted accounts engaged in blackmail schemes.

These scammers posed as young women to coerce individuals into sharing intimate photos, which were then used to extort money from the victims.

The removal follows a Bloomberg Businessweek exposé highlighting the rise of such crimes, particularly affecting teenagers in the United States.

The Global Impact

The U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) has identified sextortion as one of the fastest-growing crimes targeting minors.

The schemes often lead to severe consequences, including the tragic suicides of more than two dozen teens.

In one high-profile case, the death of 17-year-old Jordan DeMay in Michigan led to the arrest of suspects traced back to Lagos, Nigeria.

The Role of the Yahoo Boys

Many of the dismantled accounts were linked to the “Yahoo Boys,” a notorious group known for orchestrating various online scams.

These individuals have been using social media to recruit and train new scammers, sharing blackmail scripts and fake account guides.

Meta’s Response

Meta’s spokesperson emphasized the company’s commitment to user safety, stating, “Financial sextortion is a horrific crime that can have devastating consequences.”

The company is continually improving its defenses and has reported offenders targeting minors to the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children.

To enhance protection, Meta has implemented stricter messaging settings for teen accounts and safety notices regarding sextortion.

They are also employing technology to blur potentially harmful images shared with minors.

Ongoing Efforts

Meta’s actions highlight the complex and evolving nature of online crime. The company has pledged to remain vigilant, adapting its strategies to counter new threats as they emerge.

“This is an adversarial space where criminals evolve to evade our defenses,” Meta noted.

Looking Forward

As digital platforms continue to grapple with issues of privacy and security, Meta’s recent actions demonstrate a proactive stance in safeguarding users.

By dismantling these networks, the company aims to reduce the prevalence of sextortion and foster a safer online environment for all.

The crackdown serves as a reminder of the need for continued vigilance and collaboration between tech companies and law enforcement to protect individuals from the harmful effects of digital exploitation.

Continue Reading

Fintech

Flutterwave Celebrates Inclusion in CNBC’s Top 250 Global Fintechs

Published

on

Flutterwave has been recognized as one of the Top 250 Fintech companies globally by CNBC and Statista.

Joining the ranks of industry giants like Ali Pay, Klarna, Piggyvest, and Mastercard, this accolade underscores Flutterwave’s impact on the financial technology sector.

This honor follows Flutterwave’s recent inclusion in Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies list, highlighting the company’s pivotal role in transforming Africa’s payment landscape.

The recognition is a testament to Flutterwave’s dedication to innovation and excellence in providing seamless payment solutions across the continent.

Expressing gratitude, Flutterwave acknowledged its talented team, supportive board, reliable partners, and loyal customers for contributing to this success.

The company continues to drive progress in the fintech industry, reinforcing its commitment to enhancing financial accessibility and inclusion in Africa and beyond.

Flutterwave’s recognition on these prestigious lists marks a proud moment and a significant milestone in its journey, reflecting the company’s growing influence and leadership in the global fintech arena.

Continue Reading

Startups

Google Leads $250 Million Funding Round for Glance

Published

on

A logo is pictured at Google's European Engineering Center in Zurich

Google is leading a $250 million funding round for Glance, a mobile content provider.

This infusion of capital aims to expand Glance’s reach and solidify its market position amidst growing competition.

Glance, a subsidiary of InMobi Group, offers a unique service that delivers news, entertainment, and other content directly to users’ mobile screens without unlocking their devices.

With a user base exceeding 300 million across India, the US, Japan, and Indonesia, the startup has gained significant traction since its inception in 2019.

The funding round, expected to close in the coming weeks, marks a continued partnership between Google and Glance.

Google initially invested in the company in 2020, and this latest round will further enhance Glance’s capabilities to innovate and reach new audiences.

This investment reflects Google’s strategic interest in India, the world’s most populous nation, where it competes with tech giants like Microsoft, Meta, and Amazon.

With India’s rapidly growing middle class and increasing smartphone adoption, the market presents vast opportunities for digital expansion.

The support from Google comes on the heels of a previous $200 million investment by Mukesh Ambani, Asia’s wealthiest individual, which valued Glance at over $1 billion.

The startup’s largest stakeholder, InMobi, continues to thrive as a pioneer in mobile advertising, with Glance benefiting from its expertise and resources.

As Glance prepares for this new phase of growth, it stands poised to redefine how content is consumed on mobile devices worldwide.

Continue Reading
Advertisement




Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending