The Federal Ministry of Transportation has dismissed reports claiming the imminent launch of a high-speed bullet train between Lagos and Abuja, describing the information as false and misleading.
In a rejoinder issued on Thursday in Abuja, the ministry refuted a statement made by the Director of Operations of Geofocus Consortium, Yinka Idris, alleging that feasibility studies had been completed and financing secured for the project.
The ministry clarified that the report lacked merit and should be disregarded.
“It is pertinent to note that the proponent of the story, Geofocus Consortium, held a meeting with the Federal Ministry of Transportation in 2016 to discuss the unsolicited proposal to build a bullet train from Lagos to Abuja under a Public-Private Partnership (PPP) model with 100% financing by the proponent,” the ministry stated.
According to the statement, the proposal resurfaced in 2024 when Geofocus Consortium submitted an Outline Business Case (OBC) to the Infrastructure Concession Regulatory Commission (ICRC) for review.
However, the ministry stressed that the ICRC requested proof of funding from the company’s financiers, which has yet to be provided.
“ICRC responded with a request that the company provide a support letter from their financiers, which they are yet to comply with.
“The company is aware that the ICRC has not approved the OBC with particular reference to the proof of funds, which is necessary to proceed with the submission of FBC.
“It should, however, be noted that it is only when these requirements are met that a memo will be sent to the Federal Executive Council (FEC) for approval,” the statement read.
The ministry said the claim of completed feasibility studies and secured funding was unsubstantiated, urging Geofocus Consortium to retract the misleading information and tender an apology to both the ministry and the Nigerian public.
The statement further warned media outlets against disseminating unverified reports, advising journalists to seek official clarification before publication.
“For quality reportage, the online paper and others that carried the fake story are also advised to seek clarification on issues before going to print to avoid broadcasting fake news.
“The ministry, through the leadership of the Hon. Minister of Transportation, Sen. Said Ahmed Alkali, is working hard to fulfill its mandate in the sector.
“The ministry is also working to achieve President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s Renewed Hope agenda as it relates to the transportation sector,” the rejoinder added.
The Federal Ministry of Transportation reiterated its commitment to infrastructural development while calling for cooperation from stakeholders to ensure progress in the sector.