Connect with us

Telecommunications

Airtel Africa Receives Another Approval in Principle, to Operate as Super Agent in Nigeria

Published

on

Airtel Smartcash

The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has granted another approval in principle to Airtel Africa, a leading provider of telecommunications and mobile money services in Nigeria and Africa, just a week after receiving the Payment Service Bank (PSB) licence.

The leading telecommunications company disclosed in a statement seen by Investors King on Monday.

The approval in principle was granted to Airtel Africa’s subsidiary Airtel Mobile Commerce Nigeria Ltd to operate as a super-agent in Nigeria.

This is coming barely a week after Airtel Africa and MTN Nigeria received the same approval to operate Payment Service Bank (PSB) in the country.

Airtel Africa explained the difference in the two licences, it said while the PSB allows the company to provide financial services in Nigeria like existing financial institutions, the super-agent licence would allow Airtel Africa to create an agent network that can service customers of licensed Nigerian banks, payment service banks and licenced mobile money operators in Nigeria.

It said “The super agent licence is distinct from the Payment Service Bank (‘PSB’) licence, for which we received approval in principle on 4 November 2021. The PSB licence is required for Airtel to be able to provide financial services in Nigeria such as accepting cash deposits and carrying out payments and remittances, issuing debit and prepaid cards, operating electronic wallet and rendering other financial services.

“Under the super agent licence we would be able to create an agent network that can service the customers of licensed Nigerian banks, Payment service banks and licenced mobile money operators in Nigeria.

“Final approval of the super agent licence is subject to the Group satisfying certain standard conditions.”

CEO/Founder Investors King Ltd, a foreign exchange research analyst, contributing author on New York-based Talk Markets and Investing.com, with over a decade experience in the global financial markets.

Continue Reading
Comments

Telecommunications

Orange CEO Convicted for Misuse of Funds, Puts Fate in Hands of Board

Published

on

Orange - Investors King

The Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of France’s largest telecommunication company Orange, Stephane Richard has been handed a one-year suspended sentence after an appeal court in Paris convicted him of complicity of the misuse of funds.

In a statement, Richard said that he would appeal the verdict of the court, saying that the one-year suspended sentence given to him was very unfair.

Stephane Richard, who was acquitted in an initial trial said that he had placed his company authority in the hands of Orange’s board of directors.

The French Minister of Finance, Bruno Le Maire has frequently said that the position of the government concerning matters like this is that the bosses of companies owned by the state must quit their positions if ever convicted of a crime. A statement made by the finance ministry acknowledged the verdict, saying that the ministry was paying close attention to the appropriate operation of the company.

Orange is due to hold a board meeting where the matter will undoubtedly be discussed, according to a company spokesman. Two different sources who are particularly close to the situation said that Richard – who has denied any offences – will find it difficult to keep his job as the Chairman and CEO of Orange.

Richard also had a 50,000 euro fine slapped on him, but was cleared of the charge of complicity of fraud. He however refused to make any comment when reporters asked whether he would resign as CEO after the verdict was given. He hurriedly left the court, followed by the head of communications at Orange, Béatrice Mandine.

Richard, who is a former civil servant, had previously told French media that he would not be looking to stay as CEO at the end of his third term (each one lasting four years) in May 2022. He however said that he would love to remain as the Chairman.

Continue Reading

Telecommunications

Oppo to Launch Foldable Phone Next Month

Published

on

foldable phone

Following the success of Samsung’s foldable mobile phones (Samsung Galaxy Fold & Samsung Galaxy Flip), Chinese mobile communications company Guangdong Oppo Mobile Telecommunications Corp. Ltd. – popularly known as Oppo – will launch its own foldable phone next month.

According to a post on the Chinese Forum site Weibo, the foldable device which has been codenamed ‘Peacock’ is widely expected to launch in December. The Oppo ‘Peacock’ is rumoured to be powered by the Snapdragon 888 processor, the same processor used by phones like the Samsung Galaxy S21 series, the Samsung Galaxy Flip 3, the Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3, and the Asus ROG 5 series.

Gizmo China reports that the Peacock will sport an inward folding design, similar to the Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3 and the Huawei Mate X2.  Gizmo China reports that the smartphone will be accompanied by an 8-inch, 2K OLED display with a 120 hertz refresh rate. There is not a lot of information regarding the phone’s rear camera, but there is the expectation that the phone will possess a Sony IMX766 primary camera with 50 megapixels.

The report from Gizmo China goes ahead to state that the phone will come with a 4,500 mAh battery, 500 less than the Oppo A56 which is expected to hit markets this month. It will also come with 65W fast charging technology. Apart from the 50-megapixel rear camera, the Peacock will also be followed by a front camera of 32 megapixels. However, it is not yet sure how many rear cameras the Peacock will hold.

The announcement comes alongside the company’s announcement to launch a new flagship phone in 2022. The new flagship will be referred to as ‘Butterfly,’ set to release early next year. While the Peacock will be powered by the Snapdragon 888 processor, the Butterfly will be powered by the Snapdragon 898.

The official release date for the Peacock has not been released, but it is expected to launch sometime in December.

Continue Reading

Telecommunications

Airtel Africa Sells Minority Stake in Airtel Money for US$500 Million

Published

on

airtel africa - Investors King

Airtel Africa, a leading telecommunications and mobile money service provider in Africa, announced that it has received a combined $500 million as proceeds from the minority stake sales in Airtel Money from TPG’s The Rise Fund, Mastercard and Qatar Investment Authority (QIA).

The telecoms giant disclosed in a statement seen by Investors King.

The latest investment was in addition to the first closing announced by the Group on 18 March 2021, 1 April 2021 and 30 July 2021, respectively.

TPG and QIA, after meeting the conditions for second closing, invested an additional $50 million each while Mastercard added $25 million in the secondary purchase of shares in AMC BV from a subsidiary of Airtel Africa.

Airtel plans to use the proceeds from the secondary stake sale to reduce debt and expand its network and sales infrastructure in operating countries.

“With the conditions for second closing having now been met, TPG and QIA have each invested a further $50m, and Mastercard a further $25m, in the secondary purchase of shares in AMC BV from a subsidiary of Airtel Africa.

“Both QIA and TPG each appointed a director to the board of AMC BV upon the first closings. With these second closings, Airtel Africa will have received a total of $500m cumulative proceeds from the minority stake sales in Airtel Money from the three investors.

“As previously reported, the proceeds from these secondary stake sale transactions will be used to reduce Group debt and invest in network and sales infrastructure in the respective operating countries.”

Continue Reading
Advertisement




Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending