Connect with us

News

Facebook Partners With Reuters to Launch Free Online Course for Journalists

Published

on

Digital Journalist - Investors King

The Facebook Journalism Project has partnered with Reuters to launch a free online training programme for Journalists, called the Reuters Digital Journalism Course.

The Project works with publishers around the world to strengthen the connection between journalists and the communities they serve. Its training, programs, and partnerships work by: investing in organizations that fund quality journalism; training newsrooms globally; and partnering with publishers and nonprofits to combat misinformation, promote news literacy, and improve journalism.

Reuters developed the free online course curriculum after its Digital News Report found more people were using social media to access news. It focuses on digital news gathering, verification and reporting, and publishing on social media. It also covers wellness and resilience training while reporting.

According to Facebook, the course is aimed at both seasoned journalists and industry newcomers. Upon completing the course, participants will receive a certificate.

“At Facebook, we’re grateful to journalists across Africa who are working hard to keep their communities informed about the issues that matter,” Jocelyne Muhutu-Remy, Strategic Media Partnerships Manager, Sub-Saharan Africa said. “The Facebook Journalism Project will assist our region’s journalists in developing strong fundamental knowledge as they navigate the rapidly changing digital news landscape.” Muhutu-Remy added.

This Digital Journalism Course aims to support journalists across English speaking countries in Sub-Saharan Africa to build a strong foundation in digital reporting and editing.

“With news media firmly in the digital age, being able to use digital platforms safely and effectively is essential,” Reuters Executive Editor Gina Chua said in a statement.

“The Reuters Digital Journalism Course offers best practices from Reuters journalists around the world to provide the foundation for sound journalism, whether you’re a budding journalist or a seasoned one looking for a refresher.”

To sign up for the course, you must create an account on the Reuters Digital Journalism course website. The course is also available to journalists from other parts of the world.

CEO/Founder Investors King Ltd, a foreign exchange research analyst, contributing author on New York-based Talk Markets and Investing.com, with over a decade experience in the global financial markets.

News

Disengaged Npower Beneficiaries Threatens Nationwide Protest, Gives Minister Sadiya 15 Days Ultimatum to Fulfil Exit Package

Published

on

Npower

The Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Sadiya Farouk has been issued a 15 days ultimatum by aggrieved disengaged Npower beneficiaries to address issues concerning their allowance and other exit packages as promised by the government.

The disengaged Npower workers represented by Jibril Yahaya in a statement said that Minister Sadiya Farouk claiming to have started paying their allowances was one of her tricks and deceit.

“Sadiya has played us enough, and we are tired of her tricks and deceit. “

Recall that Minister Farouk had earlier announced the payment of disengaged Npower beneficiaries in August 2021 as reported by SaharaReporters. However, it was revealed that only 200 disengaged beneficiaries have claimed to receive their allowances across the country as at September 2021

The statement read in full, “Disengaged Npower beneficiaries to embark on another nationwide protest over Minister Sadiya’s failure to fulfill her numerous promises and continuous negligence of 500,000 exited beneficiaries.

“The disgruntled beneficiaries have given Minister of Humanitarian Affairs who is in charge of NPower Scheme, Sadiya Farouk, a 15-day ultimatum to address their issues, between October 26 and November 9, 2021, or we will occupy her office by November 10.

“Recall that the minister had published in the newspapers that she paid all the affected beneficiaries their five months backlog of stipends which was false and deceit (to deceive Nigerians).

“Recall also that the minister had announced that her ministry would commence training of the exited Npower beneficiaries in October in furtherance to the implementation of the Nexit loan programme.

“Till date, no schedule has been released by the ministry in preparation for the said training as a prerequisite for disbursing the Nexit loan to the beneficiaries.

“Sadiya has played us enough, and we are tired of her tricks and deceit. We are mobilising for another nationwide protest. We will occupy her office comes November 10th, until exit package is implemented.”

Continue Reading

Sport Business

2022 Access Bank Lagos City Marathon Registration To Start Nov 1

Published

on

Marathon

Organisers of the 2022 Access Bank Lagos City Marathon have set the official registration date to the 1st of November, 2021.

The Head of Communication and Media for the Access Bank Lagos City Marathon, Mr. Olukayode Thomas, affirmed that the registration process and date for the 2022 race have been confirmed.

“Any interested participants in the Feb. 12, 2022 race will have the chance to register online or by picking hard copy forms at the Marathon Office inside the Teslim Balogun Stadium.

“The forms for the 2022 race will also be made available in selected Access Bank branches.

“Unlike the last edition which was restricted to only elite runners, the 2022 race will be open to all, including fun runners in the 10-km category,” he said.

Mr. Thomas explained that across the world, road races had since returned to full capacity after the initial reduction in the number of participants and outright cancellations occasioned by the coronavirus pandemic.

“We are back to full capacity just like the other top races across the world.

“With the return of the 10-km fun run, we should be having between 80,000 and 100,000 participants at the seventh edition of our yearly race.

“Already seen as the biggest one-day event on the continent, the Access Bank Lagos City Marathon is set to become the first marathon in Nigeria to organize the 7th edition.

“Access Bank Lagos City Marathon is also the first race to win a World Athletics Bronze Label in Africa after two editions and the first in the world to win the prestigious Silver Label after four editions,” he said.

Thomas stated that the race ranks among the top 10 in the world and in terms of the number of participants, the Lagos race is proudly among the top five in the world.

Continue Reading

News

Kanu Appears in Court, Pleads Not Guilty to Seven Count Charges

Published

on

Nnamdi Kanu

Nnamdi Kanu, the leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB, earlier today pleaded not guilty to the seven-count amended charge the Federal Government preferred against him.

Kanu, who was docked before trial Justice Binta Nyako, said he was innocent of all the allegations FG levelled against him after the charge was read to him in the open court.

His re-arraignment came on day the Department of State Services, DSS, blatantly refused to allow even a single journalist inside the courtroom.

Though this reporter and six other journalists were initially cleared at the main gate of the court to enter the premises, upon his arrival at the door leading to the courtroom, arm-wielding operatives of the secret service denied him entry.

The operatives insisted their action was based on “order from above”.

Continue Reading




Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending