Federal Government Clampdown on #EndSARS Leaders
#EndSARS front runners have noticed their bank accounts are being frozen by various banks on the order of the Central Bank of Nigeria.
The #EndSARS promoters, who had spoken with the Punch, said their financial institutions informed them that the apex bank had instructed them to freeze their accounts.
Nigerian youths had raised a huge amount of money through various bank accounts in an effort to sustain a nationwide protest against the disbanded Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) of the Nigerian Police Force (NPF) in October.
However, their efforts were truncated by security operatives who shot at peaceful protesters at Lekki Toll Gate on October 20, 2020. Several reports have said youths were killed while Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu of Lagos had claimed on two people died.
It now appears like a planned strategy to go after each everyone involved in the peaceful protest after successfully surprising a genuine call for help by the largest youth population in Africa and one of the largest in the world.
Bassey Israel, a pharmacist who was in charge of the #EndSARS medical team in Port Harcourt, said his bank account with Access Bank has been frozen since October 15.
He said, “I am in charge of End SARS medical team in Port Harcourt and we had people donating for medical supplies, food, water, ambulance services and these donations were made directly into my account and of course these donations had End SARS descriptions so I think that was how they were able to flag my account. I noticed that on October 15, I was trying to make a debit transaction on my account and noticed that there was a restriction.
“So, I called the bank and I was told that there was indeed a restriction but I should go to any branch near me and when I did so, the branch manager sent a mail to the branch where I opened the account. The response to the mail was that there was a directive from the CBN to restrict the account.
“The lady was surprised and even asked me if I had any issue with the CBN and I responded that if I had any issue with the CBN, I wouldn’t be in the bank in the first place, I would be on the run. I asked what could be done and she gave me no answer. She had to show me the mail on her computer which I read. It was directly from the CBN and it read, ‘Place this account on PND.”
When Israel was asked if others had a similar issue, he said “I know many persons that have this same challenge.”
Others like Modupe Odele had their passport seized by the Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS). While the NIS officers did not disclose the reason for their actions, people familiar with the operating tactics have linked it to her role in the #EndSARS protest.
Odele said, “For my birthday, I had planned a trip to the Maldives. It was really for a break as the events of the last three weeks have exhausted my mind and body in a way I have never been exhausted in my life.
“I went to the airport, passed through immigration, and while I was putting my bags through the body and baggage scanner, the immigration officer who had previously cleared me, called me back. He told me he had orders from above to detain me.
“Okay, at this point I’m like excuse me, my flight is in an hour. On what grounds are you detaining me?” He didn’t respond. Instead, he goes to his computer where he typed in my name, and something that looked like a ‘wanted poster’ popped up on the portal.
“He blocked my view so I couldn’t see most of it but I saw some of it. And it read something like – ‘This person is under investigation by XYZ Intelligence Agency. If seen, they should be apprehended on sight.’”
Npower News: CBN Job Options for Exited Npower Beneficiaries
The Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development in collaboration with the Central Bank of Nigeria has launched an online portal called N-Exit to enable exited Npower Beneficiarieas apply for Central Bank of Nigeria Empowerement Options.
The ministry stated a statement signed by Bashir Nura Alkali, the Permanent Secretary of the Ministry.
Sadiya Umar Farouq, the Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development, urged interested exited npower beneficiaries to log on to the portal and add other additional information required for placements into the CBN intervention options.
The minister also stated that the NEXIT Portal will determine the suitability of the interested exited beneficiaries of Npower for teh CBN affiliate programes.
The statement reads, “The NEXIT portal is to determine the suitability of the beneficiaries for the CBN affiliated programs and is dependent on meeting the criteria and conditions set by the CBN for the said programs”.
“The Federal Government of Nigeria is very proud of the milestones you have achieved during your period of service to the nation. As we prepare to exit into prospective endeavors, we are confident that you will be able to channel all you have learnt over the years into successful ventures that will improve the economy of the country and create further opportunities for you and other citizens.
“Chasing a dream requires effort, passion and hard work which you are now halfway through. I congratulate you and wish you a very successful future”.
ASUU Expects to Call Off Strike Today as More Universities Accept FG’s Offer
The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) is expected to call off the ongoing strike later today or tomorrow following reports that most universities under the union have accepted government’s offer.
Last week, the government exempts ASUU from the controversial Integrated Payroll and Personnel Information System (IPPIS) and offered to raise Earned Academic Allowance (EAA) from N30 billion to N35 billion and the revitalisation fund from N20 billion to N25 billion.
Therefore, the Federal Government offered the union a total sum of N65 billion and IPPIS exemption to call of the strike.
While some universities like the Ahmadu Bello University Branch had accepted the offer and insisted payment should be made before the union call of the strike, the Federal University of Agriculture Makurdi (UAM) ASUU voted to continue with the strike until government implements what was offered during the negotiation.
Ezekiel Agbalagba, the Chairman of ASUU at the Federal University of Petroleum Resources (FUPRE), Delta State, said the congress accepted the EAA offer but rejected the N25 billion for the revitalisation of the universities.
However, Nigerians expect the union to call of the strike today or tomorrow after today’s meeting between the Federal Government and ASUU.
Staff Assured of Job Security After Dissolution of LAUTECH Joint Ownership
After the dissolution of Ladoke Akintola University of Technology (LAUTECH) by the National University Commission (NUC), the staffs of the institutions have been assured of job Security by Osun State Government “indigenes of Oyo and Osun State working in either of the two entities will retain all their rights and obligations stipulated in their letters of engagement.”
On Saturday Mrs. Funke Egbemonde, Osun State Commissioner for Information and Civic Orientation disclosed in a statement she made available to the media that, “Osun Students will not be subjected to fees or admission differentials. They will pay the same tuition fees as their Oyo counterparts”.
She said, “Government of Osun wishes to assure its citizens that the dissolution of its joint ownership of LAUTECH, following new terms of management spelled out by the National University Commission (NUC), is in no way skewed against the state.
“All workers of Osun extraction either in the College of Health Sciences and LAUTECH ceded to Osun or those in Ogbomoso are assured of job security. There will be no intimidation or discrimination against them in the discharge of their duties.
“The agreement states that indigenes of Oyo and Osun State working in either of the two entities will retain all their rights and obligations stipulated in their letters of engagements, therefore the State Government of Osun wishes to inform citizens that there is no need to fret about the dissolution, as all workers of Osun extraction are assured of the security of their jobs.
“Both Osun and Oyo states have mutually agreed that the joint ownership of LAUTECH be formally dissolved following extensive mediation by the National Universities Commission (NUC), on the need to restore tranquillity and conducive learning environment in both institutions. The decision became necessary as a result of governance and management challenges”.
Business2 months ago
Npower News on Permanency for Batch A, B
Forex2 months ago
Naira Improves Against Global Counterparts on Black Market
Business2 months ago
Buhari Budgets N420 Billion for Npower, Other Social Investment Programmes in 2021 Budget
Forex3 months ago
Zenith Bank Joins Other Banks to Cap International Spend Limit at $100/Month
Cryptocurrency2 months ago
Bitcoin Gains 1.67 Percent to $11,050 Per Coin Amid Liquidity Issue
Business3 months ago
Again, UBA Reduces International Spending Limit on Naira Card as Forex Scarcity Persists
Stock Market3 months ago
Zenith Bank Declares 30 Kobo Interim Dividend for H1 2020
Business3 months ago
FG Approves Stipends for Exited N-Power Beneficiaries