The Concerned Abia Professionals has announced the commissioning of ‘Abia Care Centre’, a 50-bed ultra-modern isolation centre with a functional molecular laboratory fully built and equipped by the group.
This was contained in a statement the CAP made available to journalists on Tuesday, and signed by one of its Project Implementation Committee members, Mrs. Mary Ikoku.
According to it, the event will hold on Sunday, October 11, 2020 at the Federal Medical Centre, Umuahia, Abia State, by 12:00 noon.
“To commission the project is the Minister of State for Health, Senator Adeleke Mamora, while Abia State Governor, Dr. Okezie Ikpeazu, is the chief host,” the statement read.
It also read, “The aim of the project is to ensure Abia citizens get adequate emergency healthcare services in the event of a pandemic as well as to guarantee the state’s readiness for any eventuality from COVID-19 in the state.
“The health facility will also assist the state government in the fight against the pandemic.”
Dignitaries expected to grace the occasion are Senator Enyinnaya Abaribe, Dr. Alex Otti, Hon. Nkeiruka Onyejeocha, Dr. Uche Ogah, Prof. Gregory Ibe, Elder E. E. Ekeoma, Uzor Kalu, Elder U. K. Eke, Uduma Kalu, Senator Mao Ohuabunwa, and Chris Nkwonta
Others are Onuoha Bourdex, Col. Austin Akobundu(retd.), Sir Johnson Chukwu, Chidi Ajaegbu, Goddy Ijomah, Alex Ikwechegh, Etigwe Uwa(SAN), and Chima Anyaso.
Also expected are representatives from Abia-American Health Systems Inc., Abia State National Association of North America, among other organisations.
The Abia Care Centre project, according to the statement, is dedicated to all those who have lost their lives during the pandemic.
“The general public are cordially invited to witness the commissioning of the 50-bed ultra-modern isolation centre,” it added.
Meanwhile, the Project Initiator, Ngozi Ekeoma, said, “This project is a clear demonstration of the deep love we have for our state. This project presents to all of us a benchmark for the replication of many more of this type of partnerships for the betterment of our people.
She commended the support received so far from Abia State indigenes, saying that her interactions in the cause of executing the project had shown that the indigenes were willing to participate in the state’s development.
“May this also encourage us to work with government to create enablers that would help us bring our wealth home. As they say, Ka Aku ru ulo..,” Ekeoma stated.
On his part, the Project Implementation Committee Chairman, Johnson Chukwu, said, “Initially, we contemplated setting up a temporary tent. We, however, decided against it for a permanent structure that will not only serve for the treatment of COVID-19 patients, but will also be deployed to cater for other medical services in future, even after the pandemic.
“Abia Care Centre is not just an isolation ward, it is a fully equipped medical ward with molecular laboratory to ensure full diagnosis and treatment of persons infected with COVID-19.”
Chukwu, who also commended the efforts and monetary contributions made by Abia indigenes, home and abroad, added, “The people of the state and friends have joined hands to build this medical facility to the glory of God and for the benefit of mankind. We, as a people, have once again confirmed God’s words in Genesis 11: 6 NLT.”
Staff Assured of Job Security After Dissolution of LAUTECH Joint Ownership
After the dissolution of Ladoke Akintola University of Technology (LAUTECH) by the National University Commission (NUC), the staffs of the institutions have been assured of job Security by Osun State Government “indigenes of Oyo and Osun State working in either of the two entities will retain all their rights and obligations stipulated in their letters of engagement.”
On Saturday Mrs. Funke Egbemonde, Osun State Commissioner for Information and Civic Orientation disclosed in a statement she made available to the media that, “Osun Students will not be subjected to fees or admission differentials. They will pay the same tuition fees as their Oyo counterparts”.
She said, “Government of Osun wishes to assure its citizens that the dissolution of its joint ownership of LAUTECH, following new terms of management spelled out by the National University Commission (NUC), is in no way skewed against the state.
“All workers of Osun extraction either in the College of Health Sciences and LAUTECH ceded to Osun or those in Ogbomoso are assured of job security. There will be no intimidation or discrimination against them in the discharge of their duties.
“The agreement states that indigenes of Oyo and Osun State working in either of the two entities will retain all their rights and obligations stipulated in their letters of engagements, therefore the State Government of Osun wishes to inform citizens that there is no need to fret about the dissolution, as all workers of Osun extraction are assured of the security of their jobs.
“Both Osun and Oyo states have mutually agreed that the joint ownership of LAUTECH be formally dissolved following extensive mediation by the National Universities Commission (NUC), on the need to restore tranquillity and conducive learning environment in both institutions. The decision became necessary as a result of governance and management challenges”.
Sanwo-olu Was Misinformed; Nobody Died At The Toll Gate – Brig.-Gen Taiwo
During the Lagos State Judicial Panel of Enquiry and Restitution for Victims of SARS abuse and other related matters on Saturday, Brig. Gen. Taiwo said that Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu of Lagos State was misinformed about the number of casualties recorded at the protest ground.
“Sanwo-Olu misinformed; nobody died at toll-gate,” he said
This was in contradiction to the statement credited to Lagos state governor that two protesters died at Lekki toll-gate.
According to the General, the supposed death did not happen at the protest ground.
“On 20th October 2020, at about 6.30 pm, while we tried to speak with the protesters and negotiate with them, they pelted stones at us and we had to fire blank bullets at protesters”.
General Taiwo alleged that most of the pictures posted on social media were not taken on the said date.
“Any picture that you (lawyers) want to present here must be submitted for forensic test.
“No protester sustained injury or died. The two people Governor Sanwo-Olu mentioned did not die at the scene; one died on Admiralty Way, which is three kilometers away from the Lekki Toll Gate, the second person was shot at Yaba,” Taiwo said.
When asked if the General was aware of the news about the protest on any foreign media, he claimed to have seen the news from BBC and CNN but not from Al-Jazeera
“Most of the videos in play have been manipulated,” Gen Taiwo said.
“Two people fainted, not died”
When asked about the presence of Omata at Lekki toll-gate on the day of the shooting, Gen. Taiwo said Omata and Bello were assigned to secure the Lekki-Epe corridor and were supposed to meet and be on their way before the Lekki incident occurred.
Taiwo explained that the exercise was led by two senior officers Lieutenant Colonel S. O. Bello who is the Commanding Officer of 65 Division, and Brigadier General Francis Omata.
When asked by Olumide-Fusika about the purpose of General Omata joining Lieutenant Colonel Bello at the toll gate, General Taiwo said it was operational.
But the #EndSARS protesters’ lawyer disagreed.
He said: “Are you aware that Gen Omata came later to stop your men from shooting?”
The officer replied: “He didn’t. He was there after the shooting had occurred. He was there to employ the non-kinetic (non-violent) measures”.
Taiwo said: “The General Officer Commanding was not in town. I called Gen Omata, he was already on ground”.
Ogunlana: “You also called Bello, why?”
Taiwo: “I was getting conflicting reports from social media and the internet. I wanted to find out what happened.
“On the internet, we were seeing videos being streamed purportedly of shootings on the ground; people screaming ‘they are killing us’ videos to that effect, so I called him.
“When the first report came in, I dismissed it. I knew nobody sent anyone to the Toll Gate….I asked him if he was anywhere near the toll gate and he said they had been stoned by hoodlums and he released some shots into the air.
“I also asked him if anybody had died as it was being reported on the internet, he replied in the negative. He had only seen two people who had fainted and they had been revived”.
As regards the shootings, the general responded to a question from Mr. Bernard Oniga, a representative of the NBA, he said that the army fired in response to the stones thrown at them.
“We shoot if pelted with stones”
“If you are being pelted with stones, the only option is gunshot. You can’t expect us to throw stones back”.
The panel ruled that following Ogunlana’s request, the facility might soon become the subject of forensic and ballistic analysis. The parties were given two weeks to conclude all analysis.
However, Mr. Olumide-Fusika claimed that there was evidence of shootings on the facilities at the toll plaza.
Amidst Festivities, Africans Should Be On High Alert To Avoid Surge in COVID-19 Cases – WHO
In light of the festive period, the World Health Organisation (WHO) urges African countries to be on high alert for a possible surge in COVID-19 cases this season.
The health organisation stated, in a new report, that nearly 20 countries in the African region have experienced an uptick in COVID-19 cases.
While the first wave of COVID-19 cases was triggered by hotspots in Southern Africa, the latest increase is likely to be driven by the North African Region where temperatures are already falling.
Despite reports of a downward trend in the plateau, COVID-19 cases have been increasing since early October in Africa.
The World Health Organisation statement revealed that out of the 47 countries in the WHO African Region, 19 countries have reported over a 20 percent increase in new cases in the past 28 days compared with the previous four weeks.
However, there has been a 20 percent decline in the number of new cases in 17 countries over the past 28 days, compared with the previous four weeks.
The report also states that there have been increasing records of health worker infections and deaths, particularly the experienced health workers.
WHO has identified that Large group gatherings and mobility are high-risk factors that increase the spread of COVID-19 and the approaching festive/holiday season can promote these risks, which might lead to super spreader events.
According to WHO Regional Director for Africa, Dr. Matshidiso Moeti, he said “As we near the time of year when people get on the move to spend their holidays together, there is a bigger risk of COVID-19 transmission”
“New clusters of cases can emerge in places that have so far been unaffected as people travel or gather for festivities. But we can lower the risks by wearing masks, limiting the numbers of people who come together, observing physical distancing and practicing good hand hygiene. We can celebrate yet do so safely”. He explained.
WHO emplored member states to conduct risk assessment at all levels, ensure all safety measures and precautions are put in place.
In an effort to re-energize key public health measures, WHO is launching the “Mask Up, Not Down”. The campaign aims to reach over 40 million young people in Africa with positive messages on the correct use of masks through social media and to combat complacency, fatigue and misunderstanding around COVID-19 prevention measures.
Dr. Moeti said “In the face of COVID-19, complacency can be dangerous”.
“At this critical moment as Africa begins to see an uptick in cases, we need to re-energize and recommit to wearing masks. I know many are finding the public health measures cumbersome, but without action from everyone, Africa risks a new surge in COVID-19 cases”. He added.
Alibaba Merchants Sell $40B in First Half Hour of Singles Day 2020, More than 2019 Event Full Sales
COVID-19 Vaccine: Crude Oil Extends Gain to $48 Per Barrel on Wednesday
MTN Nigeria, Gameloft Partner to Increase Access to Variety of Exciting Games
Business2 months ago
Npower News on Permanency for Batch A, B
Forex2 months ago
Naira Improves Against Global Counterparts on Black Market
Business1 month ago
Buhari Budgets N420 Billion for Npower, Other Social Investment Programmes in 2021 Budget
Forex3 months ago
Zenith Bank Joins Other Banks to Cap International Spend Limit at $100/Month
Cryptocurrency2 months ago
Bitcoin Gains 1.67 Percent to $11,050 Per Coin Amid Liquidity Issue
Business3 months ago
Again, UBA Reduces International Spending Limit on Naira Card as Forex Scarcity Persists
Business3 months ago
FG Approves Stipends for Exited N-Power Beneficiaries
Stock Market3 months ago
Zenith Bank Declares 30 Kobo Interim Dividend for H1 2020