Connect with us

Business

Discos Face Sanctions as Metering Scheme Suffers Delay

Published

on

Electricity Pole
  • Discos Face Sanctions as Metering Scheme Suffers Delay

Electricity consumers have yet to feel the impact of a scheme introduced last year to expedite the deployment of meters as its implementation has been delayed, ’FEMI ASU writes

When the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission unveiled the Meter Asset Provider Regulation in March last year, electricity consumers who were being subjected to estimated billing by power distribution companies hailed the initiative.

The MAP regulation, which introduced a new set of service providers in the power sector called meter asset providers, was designed to fast-track the roll-out of meters through the engagement of third-party investors for the financing, procurement, supply, installation and maintenance of electricity meters.

The Discos were required to commence the procurement process of engaging meter asset providers to serve their service areas in accordance with an approved roll-out plan.

With the regulation becoming effective on April 3, 2018, the Discos were expected to, within 120 days from the effective date, engage the services of MAPs towards the achievement of their three-year metering targets prescribed by NERC.

But more than nine months after its introduction, the impact of the metering initiative has not yet been felt by consumers as the process of procuring MAPs has not been concluded by the Discos.

The regulator, which only announced on May 23 that it had cleared 22 firms intending to participate in the meter procurement process to be conducted by the Discos, had to extend the deadline for the procurement to October 31.

According to the MAP regulation, the distribution licensees (Discos) and the MAPs shall enter into a metering service agreement, which shall provide for the number of meters to be installed in the distribution licensee’s network over an agreed period and the recovery of the cost of meter asset plus a reasonable return over a period of 10 years, among others.

NERC said the number of firms seeking to become MAPs rose to 115 as of November 22 from the 101 that were granted ‘No Objection’ as of October 17.

The President, Electricity Consumers Association of Nigeria, Mr Chijioke James, said in a telephone interview with our correspondent that the delay in the procurement of MAPs “automatically has continued to foist hardship on the consumers.”

He said, “I think the delay may be intentional. Maybe some people within the Discos are sabotaging the MAP scheme, because I see no reason why you want to collect your money and the instrument that you need to collect the money is lacking.

“If you say you are a distribution company, your primary tool of operation is the meter. How can you distribute and you are finding it difficult to invest in what you will use to collect revenue to defray your costs? The system is such that the consumers are at the receiving end; that is our challenge.”

NERC, in its latest quarterly report released this month, noted that the metering gap for customers still remained a key challenge facing the Nigerian electricity supply industry.

It said out of the 8,310,408 registered electricity customers, only 3,704,302 (about 45 per cent) had been metered as of the end of the third quarter of 2018.

“The majority of customers (55 per cent) are still on estimated billing, thus contributing to customer apathy towards payment for electricity,” the commission said.

It said it had intensified its monitoring of Discos’ implementation of and compliance with the provisions of the MAP regulation in order to fast-track meter roll-out and close the metering gap within three years.

“NERC is not doing enough as the regulator. We have a situation where the consumers hardly get justice. If NERC is serious about protecting the consumers and has put in place a guideline regarding when consumers must be metered, the Discos should be sanctioned if they fail to comply with that guideline,” James said.

Last week, a bill seeking to amend the Electric Power Sector Reform Act, prohibit and criminalise estimated billing passed the second reading at the House of Representatives.

“What informed that bill was the unjust and exorbitant estimated billing that consumers are made to bear,” the ECAN president noted.

The Deputy Director, Consumer Affairs at NERC, Mr Shittu Shaibu, told our correspondent on Friday that the procurement process was being finalised, saying, “In fact, we invited every Disco to come and give us their update because, by January 1, we expected that at least some innovations would take place after the completion of the MAP procurement process.

“All of the Discos have come to see the commission and we are hoping that before the end of this month their reports will be in and we will definitely make the scheme take off. Ideally, by the end of October, the MAP process was supposed to have been concluded after the extension by the commission, so that as from November 1, we expected to have got some reports for the commission to review and give permits to the Discos.”

According to him, some of the Discos have submitted their reports while others are finalising theirs.

Asked what was responsible for the delay, Shaibu said, “There were issues of comparability and interoperability. Both the bidders and the distribution companies had some slight issues in terms of the procurement process, especially the technical evaluation.

“It will not be fair to bring meters that will not be compatible with the billing system, considering the fact that they will not be there for a long time. Those are some of the reasons the Discos are putting forward for the delay. All the same, the commission is on top of the issue and ensuring that the scheme takes off as quickly as possible, because Nigerians are already clamouring and the commission has already put out a paper to cap their estimation.”

According to him, the commission will ensure that the Discos don’t do anything that will jeopardise the MAP initiative.

Shaibu said, “There are a few hitches because this is the first time something like this is being done. The Discos have shown positive signs of wanting to do it. Moreover, it is not an issue of whether they want to do it or not; it is compulsory that they do it because if Nigerians are to be metered the way we want it, there has to be a way out and this MAP is an avenue by which funds will come towards the procurement of meters.

“For now, all the Discos are already guilty of delay and usually when you have delays in the implementation of anything, the commission, of course, applies sanctions, and this one will not be an exception.”

Last Friday, the Minister of Power, Works and Housing, Mr Babatunde Fashola, said the MAP policy would ease the financial pressure facing Discos as new investors would come into the metering space.

“Just in the way the Gencos and Discos were licensed, we are going to license them too as meter asset providers in the value chain of power supply.”

CEO/Founder Investors King Ltd, a foreign exchange research analyst, contributing author on New York-based Talk Markets and Investing.com, with over a decade experience in the global financial markets.

Continue Reading
Comments

Business

FG Asks Customs to Ground Private Jets over Failure to Pay Import Duties

Published

on

The Federal Government of Nigeria has instructed the Nigerian Customs Service to ensure the grounding of 91 private jets, which are owned by some particularly rich Nigerians, over the payment of import duties.

The individuals in question have allegedly refused to pay their import duties, which are running up to about N30 billion. This has prompted the Federal Government to make the call to ground their private jets.

The Comptroller-General of the Nigerian Customs, Col. Hameed Ali (retd.) has since written a letter to the Nigerian Airspace Management Agency (NAMA), the Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN) and the Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA) instructing the agencies to ground the concerned private jets with immediate effect.

The letter was dated November 2, 2021 and was addressed to the Director-General of the NCAA, Capt. Musa Nuhu. The same letter was also sent and addressed to the Managing Director of the FAAN, Capt. Rabiu Yadudu and the Managing Director of NAMA, Capt. Fola Akinkuotu.

In the letter, the three addressed agencies were instructed to ground the private jets by refusing them proper administrative and operational flight clearances until further notice.

The letter went ahead to state that the indefinite refusal of administrative and operational flight clearances will be lifted once the Nigerian Customs Service has issued an Aircraft Clearance Certificate, and the certificate is provided to the agencies as evidence of cooperation.

Nairaland’s findings report that some of the private jets which are victims of the grounding order are owned by senior pastors of some Pentecostal churches across the country, Chief Executive Officers of some earlier oil companies, the Chairmen of some Tier-1 banks in the country, as well as some Tier-1 banks themselves with one of said banks owning two upmarket jets themselves.

However, some of the owners of these jets have written letters of protest to the Customs Service, stating that they cannot pay import duties because the private jets in question are under lease payments.

Continue Reading

Merger and Acquisition

Seplat Energy to Acquire ExxonMobil’s Nigerian Shallow Water Business

Published

on

Seplat Energy Plc - Investors King

Seplat Energy Plc, Nigeria’s leading indigenous energy company, has confirmed that it is in the process of acquiring ExxonMobil’s Nigerian shallow water business.

The company disclosed in a statement signed by Mr. Emeka Onwuka, Chief Financial Officer, and accessed by Investors King.

ExxonMobil has been selling off its businesses in Europe, Africa, and Asia in recent years to focus on a few mega-projects at home and abroad.

The statement reads, “Seplat Energy Plc, a leading Nigerian energy company listed on the Nigerian Exchange and the London Stock Exchange, notes the recent press speculation and confirms that Seplat Energy, together with a partner, is in competitive discussions to acquire ExxonMobil’s Nigerian shallow water business.”

According to Seplat, there is no certainty as to the outcome of the ongoing discussions.

“Deliberations are ongoing and accordingly, there can be no certainty as to the outcome. A further announcement will be made as and when appropriate, in line with regulatory requirements,” Seplat stated.

The announcement is coming a few days after Seplat Chairman, ABC Orjiako resigned from his position as the Chairman of the company following a debt scandal with Zenith Bank Plc.

Continue Reading

Company News

Uber to Halt Services in Parts of Belgium

Published

on

Uber

Uber will stop its ride-hailing service in most parts of Belgium tomorrow after a court ruling on Wednesday which extends an order given in 2015, banning its p2p (Peer to Peer) UberPop service to also cover professional drivers who provide its ride-hailing service.

Uber told TechCrunch that it is currently closely examining the details of the ruling, in order to arrive at a decision on whether or not to appeal the decision with the country’s Supreme Court.

This also follows a temporary decision to discontinue Uber’s service in Brussels, a decision which was referred to as “exceptional and unprecedented” by the tech giant. The company said that it was merely taking a step to complain about the lack of reform rules which forbid drivers from using smartphones.

After the ruling by the Brussels appeal court, private hire vehicle drivers have been obstructing a major tunnel in the capital of Belgium.

In a statement made concerning Friday’s impending shutdown, the chief of Uber in the country, Laurent Slitsagain criticized the government for not providing a reform which it has been soliciting for, stating that the decision was made depending on regulations which are now outdated as they were written before smartphones.

The company stated that the government has promised a reform but has failed to deliver said reforms for the last seven years.

According to Bloomberg, the shutdown will not be applicable to a small number of drivers who are licensed in the Flemish region of Belgium, and are therefore still permitted to use the application. Uber confirmed that the Appeal Court ruling only applies to drivers with Brussels licenses.

In another statement, Slits stated that the tech giant is hugely concerned about the 2,000 possessors of LVC licenses (rental car with driver licenses) who according to the country chief will lose their ability to generate earnings.

Continue Reading
Advertisement




Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending