Connect with us

Economy

Independent Marketers May Divest Fuel Retail Assets

Published

on

Gas Exports Drop as Shell Declares Force Majeure
  • Independent Marketers May Divest Fuel Retail Assets

Propetrol Limited, an indigenous oil and gas company, has said there will be a lot of divestment of assets within the fuel retail market by independent players who do not have the supporting infrastructure and financial capacity to cope with the current challenges.

The Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer, Propetrol, Mr. Harry Ebohon, said foreign exchange challenge and increasing cost of financing product importation would put so much pressure on marketers’ bottom line.

He said at a press briefing in Lagos that major marketers started the trend of divestment last year when Oando sold a stake in its marketing subsidiary to the trading company, Vitol; Forte sold a part of its business to Mecuria, and Nipco acquired 60 per cent interest in Mobil Oil.

“Propetrol will be positioning to acquire any of these assets that become available in the market,” Ebohon said.

He said the company commenced operations 15 years ago by providing logistic services to downstream petroleum marketers who relied on their trucks to move products to every part of the country.

“But we decided to play a more prominent role in the industry and increase our footprints and investments across the oil and gas value chain,” he said, adding that they later went into retail marketing franchise with Oando.

He said the company invested in the maritime logistic end of the business to ensure efficiency and reliability in supply and distribution of petroleum products.

Ebohon said, “Our vessels are a key indication of tangible investment in this regard. Plans are also on the way to construct a storage facility in Port Harcourt.

“We expect to see some divestments in distribution assets this year. There are over 129 storage facilities in Nigeria today with over 70 in Lagos alone. A lot of them are presently idle and with the financial sector weakness we see in the economy, there will be pressure on some marketers to divest.”

According to him, 90 per cent of the nation’s pipelines are currently non-operational and as such the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation should be concluding plans for the concession of these pipelines.

“Propetrol will be positioned to take advantage of these opportunities as they play out. Propetrol is also in the forefront of the companies that will move from road transportation of products to rail transportation as our rail infrastructure improves,” he said.

The Propetrol MD said growth would be achieved by entering markets with good growth curves such as the Liquefied Petroleum Gas market where consumption was expected to grow by 60 per cent to one million metric tonnes per annum.

He said, “Today, we are one of the leading indigenous players in the bunker supply sector in Nigeria, providing services to international oil companies, national oil companies, marginal field players, rigs, platforms, and dredging companies, among others.“In consolidation of our market leadership in this niche, we have entered into partnership with international companies to offer even more robust services to our customers in markets where we are not present.

Ebohon said the company would announce some partnerships in the next few weeks, adding, “We are partnering a major international player in the bunkering industry to provide the quality of products and services that the Propel brand has become known for to our international customers in markets where we are not physically present.”

CEO/Founder Investors King Ltd, a foreign exchange research analyst, contributing author on New York-based Talk Markets and Investing.com, with over a decade experience in the global financial markets.

Economy

NNPC To Resume Oil Exploration In Sokoto Basin

Published

on

NNPC

The Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation on Thursday announced plans to resume active oil exploration in Sokoto Basin.

A statement issued in Abuja on Thursday by NNPC spokesperson, Kennie Obateru, said the corporation’s Group Managing Director, Mele Kyari, said exploration for crude would resume in the Sokoto Basin.

The statement read in part, “Kyari also hinted of plans for the corporation to resume active exploration activities in the Sokoto Basin.”

The NNPC boss disclosed this while receiving the Governor of Kebbi State, Atiku Bagudu, who paid Kyari a courtesy visit in his office on Thursday.

In October 2019, the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), had during the spud-in ceremony of Kolmani River II Well on the Upper Benue Trough, Gongola Basin, in the North-East, said the government would explore for oil and gas in the frontier basins across the country.

He outlined the basins to include the Benue Trough, Chad Basin, Sokoto and Bida Basins.

Buhari had also stated that attention would be given to the Dahomey and Anambra Basins which had already witnessed oil and gas discoveries.

Kyari restated NNPC’s commitment to the partnership with Kebbi State for the production of biofuels, describing the project as viable and in tandem with the global transition to renewable energy.

He said the rice production programme in the state was a definite boost to the biofuels project.

Kyari said the linkage of the agricultural sector with the energy sector would facilitate economic growth and bring prosperity to the citizens.

He was quoted as saying, “We will go ahead and renew the Memorandum of Understanding and bring in any necessary amendment that is required to make this business run faster.”

The Kebbi State governor expressed appreciation to the NNPC for its cooperation on the biofuel project.

Bagudu said the cassava programme was well on course but the same could not be said of the sugarcane programme as the targeted milestone was yet to be attained.

Kebbi state is one of the states that the NNPC is in partnership with for the development of renewable energy.

Continue Reading

Economy

Nigeria To Benefit As G-20 Approves Extension Of Debt Relief Till December

Published

on

Finance ministers of G-20 countries have approved an extension of debt relief for the world’s poorest nations till December 2021.

David Malpass, World Bank president, made the announcement at the virtual spring meeting, on Wednesday.

TheCable had earlier reported that the G-20 countries will meet this week to consider an extension of the debt freeze.

The G-20, is a group of finance ministers and central bank governors from 19 of the world’s largest economies, including those of many developing nations, along with the European Union.

G-20 countries had established a debt service suspension initiative (DSSI) which took effect in May 2020.

Nigeria had benefited from the initiative which delivered about $5 billion in relief to more than 40 eligible countries.

The suspension period which was originally set to end on December 31, 2020 was extended to June 2021.

Malpass said the extension to December 2021 will boost economic recovery and promote job creation in low income countries.

He urged countries to be transparent in their approach to the debt service payment extension.

“On debt, we welcome a decision by the G20 to extend the DSSI through 2021. The World Bank is also working closely with the IMF to support the implementation of the G20 Common Framework,” he said.

“In both these debt efforts, greater transparency is an important element: I urge all G20 countries to disclose the terms of their financing contracts, including rescheduling, and to support the World Bank’s efforts to reconcile borrower’s debt data more fully with that of creditors.

“Participation by commercial creditors and fuller participation by official bilateral creditors will be vital. I urge all G20 countries to instruct and create incentives for all their public bilateral creditors to participate in debt relief efforts, including national policy banks. I also urge G20 countries to act decisively to incentivize the private creditors under their jurisdiction to participate fully in sovereign debt relief efforts for low-income countries.

“Debt relief efforts are providing some welcome fiscal space, but IDA countries need major new resources too, including grants and highly concessional resources. From April to December 2020, the first DSSI period, our net transfers to IDA and LDC countries were close to $17 billion, of which $5.8 billion were on grant terms.

“Our new commitments were almost $30 billion, making IDA19 the single largest source of concessional resources for the poorest countries and the key multilateral platform for support. To recover from COVID, much more is needed, and we welcome the G20’s support for advancing IDA20 by one year.”

Continue Reading

Economy

IMF / Fiscal Monitor Report April 2021 Forecast

Published

on

IMF 1

Unprecedented fiscal support by governments during the pandemic has prevented more severe economic contractions and larger job losses, but risks remain of long-term scarring the International Monetary Fund says in its Fiscal Monitor report released on Wednesday (April 7) in Washington, DC.

Meanwhile, such support, along with drops in revenues, has raised government deficits and debt to unprecedented levels across all country income groups, said Vitor Gaspar, Director of the Fiscal Affairs Department at the IMF.

The first lesson one year into COVID-19 is that fiscal policy can act timely and decisively. The fiscal policy response was unprecedented in speed and size looking across countries. We also learned that countries with easier access to finance or stronger buffers were able to give more fiscal support. They’re also projected to recover faster,” said Gaspar.

Average overall deficits as a share of GDP in 2020 reached 11.7 percent for advanced economies, 9.8 percent for emerging market economies, and 5.5 percent for low-income developing countries. Countries’ ability to scale up spending has diverged.

“So, what have we learned? We’ve learned that fiscal policy is powerful and that sound public finances are crucial in order to enable that power to be used to the fullest,” stressed Gaspar.

Gaspar urged policy makers to balance the risks from large and growing public and private debt with the risks from premature withdrawal of fiscal support, which could slow the recovery.

“In the spring 2021, we emphasize differentiation across countries. Moreover, COVID-19 is fast evolving, as are the consequences from COVID-19. The fiscal policy must stay agile and flexible to respond to this fast-evolving situation.” Said Gaspar.

He also warned that the targeting of measures must be improved and tailored to countries’ administrative capacity so that fiscal support can be maintained for the duration of the crisis—considering an uncertain and uneven recovery

“Moreover, countries are very different in their structures, in their institutions, in their financial capacity and much else. Therefore, policies and policy advice have to be tailored to fit.” Said Gaspar

Gaspar concluded his remarks by emphasizing that global vaccination is urgently needed, and that global inoculation would pay for itself with stronger employment and economic activity, leading to increased tax revenues and sizable savings in fiscal support.

“A fair shot, a vaccination for everybody in the world may well be the highest return global investment ever. But the Fiscal Monitor also emphasizes the importance of giving a fair shot at life success for everyone. It documents that preexisting inequalities made COVID-19 worse and that COVID-19 in turn made inequalities worse. There is here a vicious cycle that threatens trust and social cohesion. Therefore, we recommend stronger redistributive policies and universal access to basic public services like health, education, and social security,” said Gaspar.

Continue Reading

Trending