Connect with us

Government

Ambode Says $2.6bn Badagry Deep Sea Project Will Boost Economy

Published

on

Akinwunmi Ambode
  • Ambode Says $2.6bn Badagry Deep Sea Project Will Boost Economy

Gov. Akinwunmi Ambode of Lagos State says the 2.6 billon dollar Badagry Deep Sea Port Project will be bring about global growth to Nigerian waters and by extension the nation’s economy.

Ambode made the assertion in a statement by his Chief Press Secretary, Mr Habib Aruna, on the highlights of the governor’s meeting with the Executive Management of APM Terminals (Maersk Group) in London on Thursday.

The statement said Ambode met with the group’s representatives, Mr Morten Engelstoft, Chief Executive Officer designate of APM Terminals in Copenhagen, Denmark, alongside the Chairman, APM Terminal, Apapa, Chief Ernest Shonekan.

It said the meeting discussed the advancement of the Badagry Deep Sea Port as the project would also complement the emergence of Lagos as the fifth largest economy in Africa.

“This meeting was the culmination of a process which began since 2012 and which has been taken on with renewed vigour by the incumbent administration.

“It has thus, resulted in this significant foreign investment estimated at over 2.6 billion dollars into Lagos.

“The port and free zone, situate on over 1,000 hectares is expected to be the largest deep sea port in Africa upon its completion.

“The project will include a container terminal, oil and gas services and a liquid bulk terminal with general cargo and Ro-Ro facilities,’’ it said.

The statement said the project was expected to generate 500,000 direct and indirect jobs upon completion.

It said that Ambode pledged his government’s commitment to ensure that the interests of the host communities were duly considered alongside a sustainable regeneration and urban renewal of the area.

According to the statement, the governor affirmed the commitment of his administration to providing an enabling environment for businesses to thrive in the state.

On his part, Engelstoft restated the group’s commitment to the Badagry Deep Sea Port and assured the Governor that all business streams of the Maersk Group would be involved in ensuring the success of the project.

It will be recalled that Ambode had about three weeks ago in London, met with the representatives of APM Terminals led by the Head of Africa, Mr Peter Volkjaer Jorgensen.

CEO/Founder Investors King Ltd, a foreign exchange research analyst, contributing author on New York-based Talk Markets and Investing.com, with over a decade experience in the global financial markets.

Government

UK Government Has Approved Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine

Published

on

The United Kingdom on Wednesday Approved Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine

British government on Wednesday became the first country to approve Pfizer and BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine for use, according to the UK government.

The vaccine will be rolled out from next week and the first dose could be administered as early as December 7th, stated people familiar with the matter.

Last week, the UK government announced it had ordered 40 million doses of Pfizer and BioNTech COVID-19 and appointed Nadhim Zahawi, the current junior business minister, as the minister responsible for the deployment of the vaccines.

British government on Wednesday morning said, “The Government has today accepted the recommendation from the independent Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) to approve Pfizer-BioNTech’s COVID-19 vaccine for use” 

“The vaccine will be made available across the UK from next week.”

Matt Hancock, Health Secretary, revealed that the programme would commence early next week.

“It is very good news,” Hancock said.

Continue Reading

Government

Zabarmari Massacre: Buhari to Provide More Resources for the Nigerian Military

Published

on

President Muhammadu Buhari

President Muhammadu Buhari has promised to provide more resources to the military in the aftermath of the Zabarmari massacre.

On Saturday, Boko Haram killed 43 people with around 70 people still missing in Zabarmari, a village in Borno State.

Reacting to the massacre, Buhari, through his official Twitter handle @MBuhari said “Nothing is more important than ensuring the security of lives and property of Nigerians. Everything is secondary when security is at stake. I will ensure that more resources are made available to the military and other security agencies to prosecute the war against terrorism.

“As we mourn all the lives lost in Zabarmari, the Armed Forces have been given the marching order to take the fight to the insurgents, not on a one-off, but on a continuous basis, until we root out the terrorists.

“We will intensify our cooperation with neighbouring countries on bilateral and multilateral levels, to ensure that there is no hiding place for the terrorists.

“As I noted earlier, the massacre by Boko Haram in Zabarmari is nothing short of senseless, barbaric, gruesome and cowardly. It reinforces our resolve to root out all forms of insurgency and insecurity not just in Borno but everywhere across Nigeria.”

Continue Reading

Government

Boko Haram Kills Rice Farmers in Borno State, Northeast Nigeria

Published

on

Rice farmers were killed on Saturday morning in the Northeast Nigeria by suspected Islamist militants, Boko Haram, according to a Reuters Report.

The report also noted that 30 of the people killed were beheaded while over a dozen others were still missing.

However, resident of the Zambarmari Village where the attacks took place said a total of 70 people were feared dead.

Another resident and Amnesty International were quoted as saying at least 10 women were among those missing.

In another statement by Edward Kallon, the United Nations’ humanitarian coordinator in Nigeria, it was armed men on motorcycles that led the brutal attack on civilians harvesting their fields.

Armed men on motorcycles led a brutal attack on civilian men and women who were harvesting their fields,” Edward Kallon stated.

“At least 110 civilians were ruthlessly killed and many others were wounded in this attack,” he added, noting that several women are believed to have been kidnapped.

“The incident is the most violent direct attack against innocent civilians this year. I call for the perpetrators of this heinous and senseless act to be brought to justice,” Kallon said.

On Sunday, Governor Babaganan Umara Zulum of Borno State, who was at the burial told journalists that at least 70 farmers were killed on Saturday.

The Governor, therefore, called on the Federal Government to recruit more Civilian Joint Task Force members, Soldiers and civil defence fighters to protect farmers in the region.

He added that people are facing desperate choices.

In one side, they stay at home they may be killed by hunger and starvation, on the other, they go out to their farmlands and risk getting killed by the insurgents,” he said.

Continue Reading

Trending