Connect with us

Government

Bricklayers to Protest Cement Price Hike Sept. 26

Published

on

cement price

If the Federal Government does not take steps to force down the price of cement by Tuesday, September 20, bricklayers under the aegis of Lagos State Bricklayers Association, will on Monday, September 26, embark on a rally to press home their demand for a reduction in the price of the product, its President, Deacon Abel Olukayode, has warned.

He said the decision to hold the rally was the decision of the state executives of Lagos State Bricklayers Association at a meeting on September 8 in Akesan, Lagos.

Cement price, recently rose from N1,600 to between N2, 000 and N2, 600 per bag. This did not go down well with bricklayers, with Olukayode calling on the Federal Government to intervene to reduce the price, or the association’s over 500 members would hold a rally.

Although he attributed the price increase to the prevailing naira/dollar exchange rate, he said: “Now we are pleading with the President Muhammadu Buhari administration to save Nigerians by reducing the exchange rate to between N100 and N170/per dollar.”

Olukayode did not reveal details of the rally, he said the action, which was in line with the association’s motto, “Service to Humanity,” became necessary to save Nigerians from the consequences of the increase.

He said one of the fallouts of the development was the building collapse. “We have been lamenting over rising incidents of building collapse in the country. Are we not going to lose more lives and property, following the astronomical rise in cement price?’’

He pointed out that members of the association would not want to stretch their clients before they could be sheltered.

Olukayode also raised the alarm that if steps were not taken to reverse the increase, more construction firms would close, and that this might is mean that more construction companies would close shop. And block makers’ he warned, could not mould blocks according to prescribed standards and specifications.

Asked if bricklayers were likely to increase their service charge in response to the cement price increase, Olukayode said: “No, our service charges remain the same.” He, however, said the association after its September 8 meeting resolved to say ‘NO’ to any increment in cement price.

CEO/Founder Investors King Ltd, a foreign exchange research analyst, contributing author on New York-based Talk Markets and Investing.com, with over a decade experience in the global financial markets.

Government

UK Government Has Approved Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine

Published

on

The United Kingdom on Wednesday Approved Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine

British government on Wednesday became the first country to approve Pfizer and BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine for use, according to the UK government.

The vaccine will be rolled out from next week and the first dose could be administered as early as December 7th, stated people familiar with the matter.

Last week, the UK government announced it had ordered 40 million doses of Pfizer and BioNTech COVID-19 and appointed Nadhim Zahawi, the current junior business minister, as the minister responsible for the deployment of the vaccines.

British government on Wednesday morning said, “The Government has today accepted the recommendation from the independent Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) to approve Pfizer-BioNTech’s COVID-19 vaccine for use” 

“The vaccine will be made available across the UK from next week.”

Matt Hancock, Health Secretary, revealed that the programme would commence early next week.

“It is very good news,” Hancock said.

Continue Reading

Government

Zabarmari Massacre: Buhari to Provide More Resources for the Nigerian Military

Published

on

President Muhammadu Buhari

President Muhammadu Buhari has promised to provide more resources to the military in the aftermath of the Zabarmari massacre.

On Saturday, Boko Haram killed 43 people with around 70 people still missing in Zabarmari, a village in Borno State.

Reacting to the massacre, Buhari, through his official Twitter handle @MBuhari said “Nothing is more important than ensuring the security of lives and property of Nigerians. Everything is secondary when security is at stake. I will ensure that more resources are made available to the military and other security agencies to prosecute the war against terrorism.

“As we mourn all the lives lost in Zabarmari, the Armed Forces have been given the marching order to take the fight to the insurgents, not on a one-off, but on a continuous basis, until we root out the terrorists.

“We will intensify our cooperation with neighbouring countries on bilateral and multilateral levels, to ensure that there is no hiding place for the terrorists.

“As I noted earlier, the massacre by Boko Haram in Zabarmari is nothing short of senseless, barbaric, gruesome and cowardly. It reinforces our resolve to root out all forms of insurgency and insecurity not just in Borno but everywhere across Nigeria.”

Continue Reading

Government

Boko Haram Kills Rice Farmers in Borno State, Northeast Nigeria

Published

on

Rice farmers were killed on Saturday morning in the Northeast Nigeria by suspected Islamist militants, Boko Haram, according to a Reuters Report.

The report also noted that 30 of the people killed were beheaded while over a dozen others were still missing.

However, resident of the Zambarmari Village where the attacks took place said a total of 70 people were feared dead.

Another resident and Amnesty International were quoted as saying at least 10 women were among those missing.

In another statement by Edward Kallon, the United Nations’ humanitarian coordinator in Nigeria, it was armed men on motorcycles that led the brutal attack on civilians harvesting their fields.

Armed men on motorcycles led a brutal attack on civilian men and women who were harvesting their fields,” Edward Kallon stated.

“At least 110 civilians were ruthlessly killed and many others were wounded in this attack,” he added, noting that several women are believed to have been kidnapped.

“The incident is the most violent direct attack against innocent civilians this year. I call for the perpetrators of this heinous and senseless act to be brought to justice,” Kallon said.

On Sunday, Governor Babaganan Umara Zulum of Borno State, who was at the burial told journalists that at least 70 farmers were killed on Saturday.

The Governor, therefore, called on the Federal Government to recruit more Civilian Joint Task Force members, Soldiers and civil defence fighters to protect farmers in the region.

He added that people are facing desperate choices.

In one side, they stay at home they may be killed by hunger and starvation, on the other, they go out to their farmlands and risk getting killed by the insurgents,” he said.

Continue Reading

Trending