Connect with us

Government

Ogun to Commence $1.2bn Rail Project Soon − Commissioner

Published

on

Rail

The Ogun State Government has said it will soon commence the construction of a $1.2bn rail project in the state.

The Commissioner for Information for the state, Mr. Dayo Adeneye made the disclosure on Tuesday.

Adeneye assured communities along the Lagos-Ibadan expressway that they have not been forgotten by the government.

“We want to reassure our border towns, like Ibafo, Arepo, that we have not forgotten them,” the commissioner said.

“As a matter of fact, it is the next on our agenda. We are doing operation 100-100 in which the government has said we are doing a hundred rural roads in hopefully, a hundred days.”

He said even though oil prices and dwindling revenues are making it difficult to work as fast as possible, the roads still must be fixed and it will be very soon.

The commissioner said transportation is at the forefront of the plans for the state. He said if transportation is fine it attracts more people because nobody wants to live where they can’t move around.

He added, “In the next couple of months, probably less than two months, we are going to kick start our rail projects and it is going to be tapping into the federal government owned system.

“As a matter of fact, the same Chinese construction company that is doing the federal government owned railways will be doing the Ogun State project.

“Our governor was able to sign the memorandum when he travelled with the president just few weeks ago. It is a $1.2b project and it is already in the works.

“Secondly, we are working on our airport, people may ask why we need the airport, there is one in Lagos already. But when you think of the fact that there are over 400 industries in Ogun State; we have the likes of Coca Cola and we have Nestle, we have the largest ceramic manufacturing company in Africa now in Ogun State.

“The MDs will want to visit their companies, the managers and all will visit the companies. Then we have international investors who will want to visit Ogun State. So that’s why we also have our airport in the works to help ease up the stress on the road.”

On the issue of security, the commissioners said though no government can prepare for all eventualities, Ogun State has shown that it can respond rapidly. He said the State has invested heavily in the Police and the situation of security has improved to the extent that companies are now flourishing.

He promised that the government will not relent on its effort to keep making the state safe for all its inhabitants.

CEO/Founder Investors King Ltd, a foreign exchange research analyst, contributing author on New York-based Talk Markets and Investing.com, with over a decade experience in the global financial markets.

Government

UK Government Has Approved Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine

Published

on

The United Kingdom on Wednesday Approved Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 Vaccine

British government on Wednesday became the first country to approve Pfizer and BioNTech COVID-19 vaccine for use, according to the UK government.

The vaccine will be rolled out from next week and the first dose could be administered as early as December 7th, stated people familiar with the matter.

Last week, the UK government announced it had ordered 40 million doses of Pfizer and BioNTech COVID-19 and appointed Nadhim Zahawi, the current junior business minister, as the minister responsible for the deployment of the vaccines.

British government on Wednesday morning said, “The Government has today accepted the recommendation from the independent Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) to approve Pfizer-BioNTech’s COVID-19 vaccine for use” 

“The vaccine will be made available across the UK from next week.”

Matt Hancock, Health Secretary, revealed that the programme would commence early next week.

“It is very good news,” Hancock said.

Continue Reading

Government

Zabarmari Massacre: Buhari to Provide More Resources for the Nigerian Military

Published

on

President Muhammadu Buhari

President Muhammadu Buhari has promised to provide more resources to the military in the aftermath of the Zabarmari massacre.

On Saturday, Boko Haram killed 43 people with around 70 people still missing in Zabarmari, a village in Borno State.

Reacting to the massacre, Buhari, through his official Twitter handle @MBuhari said “Nothing is more important than ensuring the security of lives and property of Nigerians. Everything is secondary when security is at stake. I will ensure that more resources are made available to the military and other security agencies to prosecute the war against terrorism.

“As we mourn all the lives lost in Zabarmari, the Armed Forces have been given the marching order to take the fight to the insurgents, not on a one-off, but on a continuous basis, until we root out the terrorists.

“We will intensify our cooperation with neighbouring countries on bilateral and multilateral levels, to ensure that there is no hiding place for the terrorists.

“As I noted earlier, the massacre by Boko Haram in Zabarmari is nothing short of senseless, barbaric, gruesome and cowardly. It reinforces our resolve to root out all forms of insurgency and insecurity not just in Borno but everywhere across Nigeria.”

Continue Reading

Government

Boko Haram Kills Rice Farmers in Borno State, Northeast Nigeria

Published

on

Rice farmers were killed on Saturday morning in the Northeast Nigeria by suspected Islamist militants, Boko Haram, according to a Reuters Report.

The report also noted that 30 of the people killed were beheaded while over a dozen others were still missing.

However, resident of the Zambarmari Village where the attacks took place said a total of 70 people were feared dead.

Another resident and Amnesty International were quoted as saying at least 10 women were among those missing.

In another statement by Edward Kallon, the United Nations’ humanitarian coordinator in Nigeria, it was armed men on motorcycles that led the brutal attack on civilians harvesting their fields.

Armed men on motorcycles led a brutal attack on civilian men and women who were harvesting their fields,” Edward Kallon stated.

“At least 110 civilians were ruthlessly killed and many others were wounded in this attack,” he added, noting that several women are believed to have been kidnapped.

“The incident is the most violent direct attack against innocent civilians this year. I call for the perpetrators of this heinous and senseless act to be brought to justice,” Kallon said.

On Sunday, Governor Babaganan Umara Zulum of Borno State, who was at the burial told journalists that at least 70 farmers were killed on Saturday.

The Governor, therefore, called on the Federal Government to recruit more Civilian Joint Task Force members, Soldiers and civil defence fighters to protect farmers in the region.

He added that people are facing desperate choices.

In one side, they stay at home they may be killed by hunger and starvation, on the other, they go out to their farmlands and risk getting killed by the insurgents,” he said.

Continue Reading

Trending