Connect with us

Economy

Govt Targets $3.5bn Investments in Gas Flaring

Published

on

gas flaring
  • Govt Targets $3.5bn Investments in Gas Flaring

The Federal Government is targeting to attract $3.5bn worth of investments into the country through the Nigerian Gas Flare Commercialisation Programme and has issued letters of qualification to 205 firms that are interested in the NGFCP.

It was gathered that over 850 interested parties registered their interests in the programme while 238 applicants submitted statements of qualification in response to the Request for Qualification published by the Department of Petroleum Resources.

A total of 238 SOQ documents were evaluated in accordance with the provisions of applicable regulations, guidelines and standard DPR practices for bid evaluation and were adjudged either a ‘pass’ or ‘fail’ status.

“Following a rigorous exercise conducted in line with established protocol and using the electronic evaluation tool, 205 applicants emerged successful, attaining a ‘pass status’, while the remaining 33 applicants did not meet the minimum requirements and thus attained ‘fail status’,” the Programme Manager, NGFCP in the Federal Ministry of Petroleum Resources, Justice Derefaka, told our correspondent in Abuja.

It was also learnt that the FMPR recently contacted the 205 firms and told the companies that they were qualified.

The FMPR disclosed this in a letter titled Approval of Submission of Statement of Qualification in response to the request for qualification package of the Nigerian Gas Flare Commercialisation Programme in the Ministry of Petroleum Resources.

In one of the letters signed on behalf of the ministry’s permanent secretary by the Director, Special Duties/Alternate Chairman, NGFCP, Andrew Agi, he told the bidder that “following your submission of Statement of Qualification in response to the request for qualification package of the Nigerian Gas Flare Commercialisation Programme, I am directed to inform you that your application is successful.

“Consequently, your company has been adjudged qualified for the next stage.”

Commenting on the development, Derefaka stated that the NGFCP had the potential of generating approximately $3.5bn of inward investment, adding that the potential Gross Domestic Product impact was estimated at over $1bn per annum.

He said, “It could potentially unlock two to three liquefied natural gas trains, around 3000 megawatts of electricity generation as well as generate about 600,000 metric tonnes of liquefied petroleum gas per year, giving six million households access to clean energy through LPG.”

“The programme could also bring inflow of new infrastructure players to enable gas uptake and usage in previously unreachable regions and business development from gas companies to unlock new domestic markets for gas.”

CEO/Founder Investors King Ltd, a foreign exchange research analyst, contributing author on New York-based Talk Markets and Investing.com, with over a decade experience in the global financial markets.

Economy

Delta State Gov Okowa Presents N378.48 Billion Budget for 2021

Published

on

governor-ifeanyi-okowa-of-delta-state

Ifeanyi Okowa Presents N378.48 Billion Proposed Budget for 2021

The Executive Governor of Delta State, Senator (Dr) Ifeanyi Okowa, on Tuesday presented a N378.48 billion budget to the state’s House of Assembly for consideration for the 2021 fiscal year.

The budget christened “Budget of Recovery” appropriated N207.52 billion for Capital Expenditure while Recurrent Expenditure was allocated N171.32 billion.

According to the Governor, capital expenditure accounted for 54.76 percent of the budget while 45.24 percent represented recurrent expenditure.

He explained that the allocations were in line with his administration’s agenda of spending more on projects and programmes that would impact positively on the socio-economic well-being of the people of Delta.

The proposed budget for 2021 is N96.2 billion or 34.05 per cent more than the N282 billion approved for 2020.

The governor said that the 2021 budget proposals reinforced the state government’s commitment to road infrastructure, education, health, job and wealth creation programmes as the principal-drivers of the Stronger Delta agenda.

According to him, N113 billion, representing 89.94 per cent of the capital budget is allocated to the economic sector while N35 billion is allocated to the social sector; the administration sector got 10.93 billion and the regional sector, N42 billion.

“In 2021, we propose to spend N66.66 billion on Road Infrastructure; N6.79 billion on Health; Education will gulp N23.55 billion; Agriculture, N2.04 billion and Water Sector, N1.83 billion.

“Job and Wealth Creation Bureau will gulp N1 Billion and Youth Development, N1.25 billion. These key sectors are very essential in our 2021 budget,” Okowa said.

Okowa also explained that due to the negative impact of COVID-19 on the economy and the world at large, government spending was significantly affected by the global pandemic and that Delta was no exception.

The governor, therefore, stated that “the proposed 2021 Budget for Delta is primarily focused on protecting and supporting our people in a COVID-19 environment, accelerating infrastructural renewal, incentivizing growth, enhancing job creation, engendering social inclusion and developing sustainably.

“Overall, the proposed 2021 Budget is predicated on inclusive economic growth that is sustainable and people-centred, with strengthening fiscal sustainability through increased efficiency in spending, improved revenue mobilization and debt sustainability.

“It also entails improving processes and systems in Public Financial Management, and Monitoring and Evaluation, to bolster better public sector service delivery.”

Continue Reading

Economy

FG to Create 5 Million Jobs for Nigerian Youths in the Power Sector

Published

on

Federal Government Plans to Create 5 Million Jobs for Youths in the Power Sector

The Federal Government is working on creating at least 5 million jobs for Nigerian youths in the power sector, according to the Minister of Power, Engr. Sale Mamman.

The minister, who spoke at a stakeholder meeting in Jalingo, Taraba State, said the youths should foster peace and harmony as the Federal Government, in line with some of their demands, is working on creating massive job opportunities for them in the power sector.

He said the initiative is part of president Muhammadu Buhari’s plans to lift 100 million people out of poverty within 10 years.

Mamman explained that the youths will benefit from the Siemens Presidential Power Initiative as more opportunities will be available in renewable energy, installation and the maintenance of meters.

He said: “Plans are ongoing to kick start this and it is being designed to ensure that majority of the firms and the installers are Nigerian youths. This is also part of the commitment of President Muhammadu Buhari’s focus on lifting 100 million people out of poverty within 10 years.

“From the briefings I have received so far, the youths are taking up opportunities in this aspect as well as in renewable energy. This is another way the government will be empowering young Nigerians as the local assembly; installation and the maintenance of these meters are largely handled by our industrious youths.”

“The minister urged the youths to vigilant and resist and attempt by some people to use them to incite violence for their sinister motive, noting that the Federal Government was tailoring more programmes for the youths through the Siemens Presidential Power Initiative and in building capacity on renewable energy.”

“There is the assurance of Mr. President that Nigerians will be beneficiaries of the Siemens project which will turn around the power supply situation of Nigeria. When this happens, industries will be revived and SMEs driven by youths will thrive more.”

Continue Reading

Economy

Lagos Loses N1 Trillion to #EndSARS Protest, a Year Budget – Gov

Published

on

Lagos Needs N1 Trillion to Fix Vandalised Infrastructure, a Year Budget – Gov

The Governor of Lagos State, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, has puts the total economic cost of past week destruction and vandalism in the state at about N1 trillion.

Sanwo-olu, who spoke with the speaker of the House of Representatives, Hon. Femi Gbajabiamila, that was on a fact-finding visit to Lagos on Sunday, said the state may spend up to N1 trillion to fix damages done to infrastructure.

Speaking on the situation, Femi Gbajabiamila, said “The House of Representatives will do all it can to compensate all those who suffered brutality including policemen that lost their lives in the process.

“Also whatever the house can do in rebuilding Lagos and other states it will do. We are now in a state of reconstruction. What must be done will be done.

“I learnt from the governor of Lagos State that it will take N1.0 trillion to rebuild what had been lost and I asked him what is the budget size of the state he said about N1.0 trillion. You can see we are moving backward.

Rotimi Akeredolu, Chairman of the South West Governors, who was part of the visit, stated, “We are indeed surprised at the extent of damage to lives and properties in Lagos. We will be right to say Lagos was turned into a war zone.

“We are deeply concerned with the ease with which public buildings, utilities, police stations and investments of our people have been burnt despite the proximity of security agencies to those areas. However, while responding to the total number of government’s buildings burnt among others,” Lagos State Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Mr Gbenga Omotoso, stated.

We are still counting. The state is still taking inventories of all that happened and not until all that is concluded we can’t not ascertained for now the total number of burnt structures. But I can tell you it’s very huge.

Continue Reading

Trending