- Foreign Investors Selling South African Assets
Foreign investors are selling South African assets at a record pace as they doubt Cyril Ramaphosa’s ability to keep it all together ahead of a potential rate cut.
Foreign investors have sold a total of $4.8 billion of South African stocks and bonds year-to-date, the highest sell-off since 1998.
The poor growth rate recorded in the last two quarters and persistent power outages have hurt business confidence in Africa’s second-largest economy in 2019, especially after the central bank lowers its growth projection and Moody’s dropped its forecast from 1.3 percent to 1 percent.
Capital flight surged the most in the fixed-income market as rating companies are expected to lower South Africa’s credit rating going forward.
The rand weakened by 2.5 percent against the US dollar last week after Moody’s Investors Service said government plan to increase financial support for a state-owned power company, Eskom Holdings SOC Ltd., was credit negative. That was from Moody’s, the only major ratings that still have South African debt above junk.
On Friday, Fitch Ratings Ltd lowered its projection for South Africa to negative in 2019, while JPMorgan said the recent rally in the rand was as a result of the supportive global environment and not because of an improvement in the local economy.
“We now believe levels are stretched enough to enter outright rand shorts,” JPMorgan analysts including London-based Anezka Christovova and Robert Habib in New York said in a note. “South Africa’s fundamental picture remains very challenging with a ballooning fiscal deficit and structurally low growth.”
The uncertainty surrounding the central bank’s ability to curtail the situation is responsible for the drop in market sentiment, the surge in capital flight and broad sell-off of Africa’s most industrialized nation’s assets.
FG Implores Parastatals to Promote the Country’s Digital Economy Initiative
FG Tells MDAs to Promote the Country’s Digital Economy
The Ministry of Communications and Digital Economy under the management of Dr. Isa Pantami, has implored all the federal government parastatals to promote and safeguard the country’s digital economy initiative.
Dr. Isa Pantami, while presenting the keynote address in a virtual forum organised by the Association of Telecoms Companies of Nigeria (ATCON), said based on the negative effects of COVID-19 pandemic, the demand for critical data infrastructure and broadband is now high.
The minister urged government parastatals to put in effort to uphold and promote government’s digital economy initiative designed to reduce the effect of the pandemic on the nation. He also disclosed that the interests of all Nigerians would also be protected by the government.
“Federal government will continue to develop its digital economy policy for a digital Nigeria. Both the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) and the National Information Technology Development Agency (NITDA) that are under the supervision of my ministry, now have special departments that promotes digital economy initiative and I urge them and all other parastatals under my supervision, to ensure that they promote the digital economy initiative of the federal government in order to maintain investor’s confidence and to protect the interest of Nigerians, especially telecoms consumers.
“Government on its part will ensure that the interests of telecoms companies and the interest of Nigerians are protected. Government is currently addressing the challenges in the cost of investments such as the issue of vandalisation of telecoms infrastructure, and President Muhammadu Buhari has officially directed all security institutes, through the Office of the National Security Adviser (ONSA), to protect telecoms investments in the country,” Pantami said.
The Executive Vice Chairman of NCC, Prof. Umar Garba Danbatta, when making his presentation said “The COVID-19 pandemic rapidly and sharply ravaged the globe, Nigeria is no exception. Governments therefore, faced unprecedented challenges from COVID-19 pandemic. The impact affects most sectors of the global economy, ranging from health, to education, to finance, to trade and investment.”
While explaining the Commission’s efforts at resolving consumer-related issues, Danbatta noted that less than 500,000 people activated Do-Not-Disturb (DND) code as at 2015 when the code was introduced by the Commission but presently, over 22,722,366 people line on the code.
He also made it known that the commission has resolved 98 per cent of service-related complaints received from telecoms consumers from January 2019 to April 2020.
according to Danbatta “the Commission has monthly engagements with operators as well as quarterly industry working group on Quality of Service and Short Codes, and is currently monitoring 2G Key Performance Indicators, while the KPIs for 4G are being prepared.”
Mambilla Power Project: FG Spends N1.2bn on Survey, Sensitisation
FG Releases N1.2bn for 3,050MW Mambilla Hydroelectric Power Project
The Federal Government has released a total sum of N1.2 billion to the Taraba State Government for the 3,050 megawatts Mambilla Hydroelectric Power Project to finally take-off.
Investigations have revealed that the funds were released for the sensitisation of host communities around the site where the plant is to be constructed and survey works.
The N2 trillion power project is to be located in Sardauna Local Government Area of Taraba State after four decades of on and off planning.
Checks revealed that Sale Mamman, the Minister of Power, visited Taraba State last week, where he met with Darius Ishaku, the State Governor, and discussed the final take-off of the 3,050MW project, among other things.
Mamman on Wednesday had tweeted some of the highlights of his Wednesday visit, saying the Federal Government and Taraba State Government discussed how to speed up the project.
He said, “I paid a visit to the Taraba State Government House where I met with the governor and brother.
“We held discussions centered on how to speed up the final take-off of the Mambilla Hydroelectric Power Project and other power issues affecting the state.”
FBN Holdings Boost First Bank CAR With N25 Billion Capital Injection
First Bank Boosts CAR With N25 Billion Capital Injection
FBN Holdings Plc announced it has boosted the Capital Adequacy Ratio (CAR) of its commercial banking subsidiary, First Bank of Nigeria Limited by N25 billion.
According to the statement released by the bank on the Nigerian Stock Exchange website, the capital injection represents part of the net proceeds of the company’s divestment from FBN Insurance Limited.
It noted that the capital injection upped the bank’s Capital Adequacy Ratio to 16.53 percent –before capitalising year to date profit– as at June 2020.
Oyewale Ariyibi, the Chief Financial Officer of the Company, was quoted as saying “the divestment is in line with the Group’s medium to long term strategic objectives. The divestment has unlocked significant value embedded in the former subsidiary which is being leveraged to strengthen the core banking business for which the Group is renowned“.
Ariyibi further stated that the Company’s objective is to increase capital across the Group in order to drive business growth, enhance efficiency and improve overall shareholders’ value.
Uk Eke, the Group Managing Director, who commented on the company’s performance for the first half of 2020 said “The H1 2020 financial results are impressive and reconfirm our consistent focus on enhanced shareholder value. Despite the difficult operating environment, the results demonstrate our capacity to deliver exceptional services to our customers in these uncertain times. Looking ahead, we remain cautious, but confident that our business is fundamentally strong to surmount any future challenge towards delivering superior financial performance“.
News1 month ago
British High Commission to Start Accepting Visa Applications From Nigerians Soon
Business1 month ago
Seplat Appoints Emeka Onwuka as CFO, Executive Director
Finance1 month ago
DSS Arrests EFCC, Acting Chairman, Magu
Forex1 month ago
Naira-USD Exchange Rate to Hit N430 – Report
Business4 weeks ago
Nneka Ede Purchases Portuguese Football Club, Lusitano Ginasio Clube
Business2 months ago
Dangote, MTN Lead Africa’s Most Admired Brands in 2020
Government1 month ago
FG Puts School Resumption Plan on Hold as COVID-19 Cases Hit 30,000
Business1 month ago
West African Consumer Sentiment Reflects Global Uncertainty