Connect with us

Government

FAAN Moves to Address Electricity Problem at MMIA

Published

on

murtala-muhammed-international-airport-lagos-nigeria-mmia

The Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN) said it has acquired transformers and other equipment to rehabilitate and upgrade power equipment at the Murtala Muhammed Intertional Airport (MMIA).

This it said was aimed at putting an end to the intermittent power disruptions at the airport.

The agency attributed the incessant power outage in the last three weeks to the construction work going on at the new international terminal of the airport.

It explained that electric cables buried underground that provide power at the airport were inadvertently excavated by construction workers at the location where the new terminal is being built.

The General Manager, Public Affairs of (FAAN) Mr. Yakubu Dati, who confirmed the excavation of the cables said that engineers from the agency have been working to move the cables from the construction site and replace those that have been destroyed, noting that this would take a little time before the work is completed.

“Preliminary reports indicate the cause of the outage was the damage of two 11 KVA underground cables located within the construction premises of the new international terminal. Our engineers are urgently rectifying the problem. However, FAAN will relocate these cables out of the construction site to prevent re-occurrence and we crave your indulgence while that is being done. The Authority apologises for the inconvenience caused to airlines, passengers and the general public,” Dati said.

He also said that although power has been restored to the terminal but airport users should expect more power cuts as work continues on the restoration of new cables and upgrade of the power system.

Investigations also revealed that the demand for electricity at the airport has been overstretched due to increased activities and expansion of the terminal and FAAN has acquired 500 KVA transformer and it is in the process of installing the equipment.

“Once we move the cables from the construction site we are sure we would have stable electricity supply at the airport, but to permanently meet the growing demand and in view of the rapid and continuous increase of activities in the near future, we are installing the 500 KVA transformer,” Dati said.

He noted that FAAN doesn’t rely on public power supply because of the hiccups associated with it so the agency has new generators and with the combination of the old ones, the Authority has been providing electricity to both the international terminal and the General Aviation Terminal (GAT).

Dati also disclosed that FAAN would replace all the old underground cables, which were installed when the airport was built almost 40 years ago.

“When you bury something for that long time they need to be replaced and that is what we are doing. I have to add however that the few times we have power outage in the past was due to vandalisation of our cables and equipment, but this has significantly reduced due to improvement of surveillance by our security operational team”, Dati said.

CEO/Founder Investors King Ltd, a foreign exchange research analyst, contributing author on New York-based Talk Markets and Investing.com, with over a decade experience in the global financial markets.

Government

Buhari Bows to Pressure, Overhauls Murderous Police Unit, SARS

Published

on

FG, NPF Dissolve SARS Amid Nationwide Protests

President Muhammadu Buhari has finally bowed to pressure to disband the murderous Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) unit of the Nigeria Police Force (NPF).

In a statement released on Sunday, Mohammed Adamu, Nigeria’s Inspector General of Police, said the Special Anti-Robbery Squad unit had been abolished “with immediate effect”. He, however, said SARS officers would be redeployed to other police units, formations and commands that the Nigerian people are saying also needs reform.

 

This was after President Buhari had said he met with the Inspector General of Police on Saturday to discuss reform of the UNIT against a complete overhaul being pushed by millions of harassed, dehumanised and disrespected Nigerian youths.

The statement further aggravated Nigerian youths, who encouraged Nigerians abroad to stage protests across the nation’s embassies in a move to draw international media and organisations to the plight of youths in Africa’s largest economy. Sensing chaos amid expected economic recession in the third quarter, President Buhari and the Nigeria Police Force quickly dissolved the murderous anti-robbery squad to force decorum and calm millions of angry Nigerian youths.

Nigerian youths, both celebrities, influencers and regular people, have used their social media backed with action to compel the Nigerian government, known for blatant disrespect, disregard and the use of counter-protests to suppress and discredit dissenting voice, to finally put to an end a police unit that has killed several youths for owning an iPhone, having a laptop, driving a car or even looking good.

This is a win for the Nigerian youths and sent a strong message to the leaders that youths will no longer tolerate their excesses and henceforth would be demanding accountability, transparency and the right implementation of the rule of law regardless of class, status or position.

To the youths, it validated what the majority have been clamouring for, UNITY that transcends tribes and religions. If Nigerian youths stick together and continue to demand change in one voice with civil disobedience, we will eventually have a Nigeria we all can be proud of.

Congratulations to US!.

Continue Reading

Government

LAMATA Says Lagos Red Rail Project to be Operational by October 2022

Published

on

Railway Projects

Lagos Red Rail Project to be Operational in 24 Months

Lagos State Metropolitan Area Transport Authority (LAMATA) has said the ongoing Lagos Red Rail Line project will be completed for operation in the next 24 months, October 2022 to be precise.

Mrs Abimbola Akinajo, the Managing Director, LAMATA, disclosed this at a milestone meeting on the implementation of the Lagos Rail Mass Transit Red and Blue Line projects in Lagos on Tuesday.

In the meeting with contracts, Akinajo said the gathering was to reaffirm the established positions on timelines for delivery of the rail lines to passengers, according to a statement titled ‘Lagos red rail line will be operational in 24 months’ and signed by Kolawole Ojelabi, Assistant Director, Corporate Communication, LAMATA.

She said, “The red line is supposed to be a quick win because it will share tracks with the Nigerian Railway Corporation on its Lagos – Ibadan rail corridor. There will be no delays, no budget or cost overrun and there will not be any shift in delivery date.

“Our meeting is to take stock of what we have done so far since this project started and to re-emphasise that there is no room for slippage in the delivery of the red line.”

Continue Reading

Government

#Endsars: Naira Marley Calls Off Protest following Police Invitation

Published

on

Naira Marley Says no Protest After Police Invitation

Afeez Fashola popularly known as Naira Marley has called off the nationwide protest scheduled for today, Tuesday 6, October 2020.

In a tweet put out by the musician a few minutes ago, he said “We won’t be protesting anymore because there’s a lot of changes being made right now. As a Marlian we will give them a week to see the changes and if there’s no changes we will start a mass protest.”

This was after the Nigeria Police Force reportedly invited the musician a day before the supposed protest to brief him on the ongoing efforts to address concerns of the Nigerian Youth regarding the operations of a unit of the Nigerian Police Force, Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS).

On Monday, Sunday Dare, the Minister of Youth and Sports Development, had urged the musician and his followers not to embark on the protest as their grievances are being addressed at the highest level of government.

He said “I urge you and other youth not to embark upon any protest. Your grievances are being addressed at the highest level of government. As the Minister in charge of youth, I know this is an issue that must be tackled. Government is doing just that.

On Tuesday, the musician announced he would be having a live Instagram chat with DCP Frank Mba to discuss the concerns of young Nigerians concern SARS operations.

This was after the Nigerian Police Force had tweeted that “@officialnairam1 The Inspector General of Police wishes to inform Nigerian youths that their voices and complaints on the issues of unprofessional conducts by some SARS operatives have been heared very loudly and clearly.”

However, angry Nigerian youth have started attacking the musician, calling him a Coward like Tu Face. Some claimed he has been paid to call off the protest like every other activist in the country.

Scotty Aluta @saintyommite1 said “At first i respected your actions towards planning a protest but my greatest regret is screenshotting your tweet and post in different platforms to salute your courage, now you just chickened out like everyone else! Real revolutionaries dont bow to pressure! I am disappointed.”

I am Riel @Iam_Riel said “Imagine, you don’t do this on the last day, it’d feel like you got threatened, you protest because you want them to change, not because of the changes you expecting, who would come out with you next week? This is wrong na.”

Manlike @fairlyodd_tweet said “I’m so disappointed in Naira marley, we all lashed at the NLC when they did the same thing now look at our so called youth backing down because they held one meeting that wouldn’t change anything.”

Continue Reading

Trending