After Sacking Over 3,000 Staff, Dangote Says More Jobs to be Created
Aliko Dangote, the President of Dangote Group, has said despite the challenges facing global economy, especially Africa, Dangote Group will continue to create new jobs.
Aliko Dangote, who spoke at the company’s 11th Annual General Meeting in Lagos, said Dangote Group has created over 54,000 jobs in four African nations where it operates. He listed the countries as South Africa, Ethiopia, Senegal and Nigeria, the company’s largest operation.
He said “According to our 2019 socioeconomic impact assessment study specifically on our operations in Nigeria, Ethiopia, Senegal, and South Africa, we sustained 54,005 jobs (direct, indirect, induced) in these four markets in the year under review.”
This was a week before Dangote Cement reportedly laid off over 3,000 staff on June 17 with a plan to return over 80 percent of its staff back to labour market.
According to a SaharaReporters report, the company has so far let go about 4,000 out of its 6,000 drivers.
An anonymous source said to be familiar with the situation said the company used staff throughout the COVID-19 stay at home order despite strict lockdown instruction. However, instead of promotion or compensation for putting their lives on the line, they were sacked.
He said “At the beginning of the year, they did an appraisal, it was supposed to be for a promotion and then the pandemic struck.
“When the pandemic struck, people were thinking that is when he will sack people but nothing like that happened as a matter of fact, the people that they have compulsory leave because of the pandemic were ordered back after just five days.
“Everyone was recalled back to work despite the lockdown and at that time they were pushing out trucks of cement around 500 to 600 every day.
“People were working overtime because it is owned by Dangote, his trucks were exempted from COVID-19 restrictions, so they forced people to work overtime like 12 yours everyday morning and night. The country was beginning to reopen little by little and then the next thing was sack,” he said.
Another victim of the mass sack said he was working as usual when he was called and compelled to sign a termination letter without prior warning.
He said, “As I speak to you, more than 3,000 people are being sacked. You will be at your duty post and they will call you and give you a letter, nobody knew, no prior notice.
“As a matter of fact, after the appraisal at the start of the year, many of us were given recommendations to be promoted to manager and other positions within the organisation.
“I was at my duty post, I got a call from the admin and when I got there, they gave me a letter and said I should sign the original collected by me, you cannot argue with anybody.
“As a matter of fact, the Head of Materials and Maintenance, Engr Basil, he has only nine people in his unit. He force them to cover the whole of the facility because they have to create evaluations for materials and make reservations for maintenance so when was asked to submit the names of nine people in his department to sack, when he refused explaining to upper management that he was already understaffed and taking out anyone will make the work to suffer. They gave him an ultimatum of 24 hours to submit names from his team for sack and when he refused to do it after it elapsed, he was sacked along with his team.”
FG to Engage Private Sector to Absorb N-power Beneficiaries as Batch C Selection Begins
Private Sector to Absorb N-power Beneficiaries, Says FG
The Federal Government has said beneficiaries of the N-power scheme will be absorbed into government entrepreneurship schemes.
Hajiya Sadiya Farouq, the Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development, made the announcement in a statement signed by the Deputy Director of Information in the Ministry, Mrs Rhoda Iliya, following the outcry that trailed the exit of Batch A and Batch B despite the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS) report showing the nation’s unemployment rate rose to 27.1 percent in the second quarter of the year.
The minister also said the federal government is engaging private businesses to join government in creating permanent jobs for the exited N-power beneficiaries.
She, however, noted that the selection of Batch C applicants has started and the list of the successful candidates will be announced on the organisation’s official website.
According to the Ministry, a total of 5,042,001 Nigerians applied for the Batch C N-power program between June 26 and August 9th, 2020 when the program ended.
“The commencement of the Batch C enrolment is sequel to far-reaching consultations and a review of the submissions on the reform and realignment of the programme for greater efficiency.
“Batch C is also being enrolled to provide opportunities for more Nigerian youth to access the programme, in furtherance of the President’s vision of lifting 100 million Nigerians out of poverty.
“This will create opportunities that will enhance the productivity of the Nigerian youth for entrepreneurship.
“Applications will be conducted using a hybrid system of enrolment to ensure that all Nigerians are given an opportunity to participate.
“As a Ministry that caters for the vulnerable, we will also make special considerations for persons living with disabilities.
“Online portal would be open to receive applications from noon on June 26, 2020 and will provide a level playing field for all applicants.
“As part of the Ministry’s reforms to make the programme more efficient, all applicants must supply their Bank Verification Number , in their application.
“This is to ensure a streamlined and transparent selection process. Once applications are submitted, the Ministry will review submissions and publish a list of successful applicants.
“Past beneficiaries are not eligible to participate in the application process. Comprehensive details for the new batch will be announced in the coming weeks,” Farouq said.
FG Includes Emirates Airlines in Restricted Flights
FG Restricts Emirates Airlines From Flying Nigeria
The Federal Government on Friday said it has included Emirates Airlines in the list of airlines not allowed to fly into Nigeria as part of measures to contain the spread of COVID-19 in Nigeria.
Hadi Sirika, the Minister of Aviation, disclosed this via his official Twitter handle on Friday.
According to him, the decision was taken after a meeting between members of the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19 and European Union ambassadors.
The minister said the ban would take effect on Monday, September 21, 2020.
“The PTF sub-committee met today with EU Ambassadors to discuss Lufthansa, Air France/KLM ban. The meeting progressed well. Emirates Airlines’s situation was reviewed & they are consequently included in the list of those not approved, with effect from Monday the 21st September 2020,” Hadi Sirika tweeted.
“The PTF sub committee met today with EU Ambassadors to discuss Lufthansa, Air France/KLM ban. The meeting progressed well. Emirates Airlines’s situation was reviewed & they are consequently included in the list of those not approved, with effect from Monday the 21st Sept. 2020.”
FG to Absorb Exited N-power Beneficiaries into New Program
Exited N-power Beneficiaries to Be Absorbed into Another Program
The Federal Government has commenced plans to absorb exited N-power beneficiaries into a new program in an effort to help them eke a living.
Sadiya Umar Farouq, the Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development, made the statement at an interactive forum with state focal persons of the National Social Investment Programmes in Abuja.
She said: “As we renew our commitment to the service of humanity, I will like to cease this opportunity to once again state that we have successfully exited Batch A and B of the N-Power beneficiaries in June and July respectively and we are still working towards ensuring a transition plan that will further engage or absorb them into other programmes.”
Sadiya also stated that the selection process of the Batch C N-power application will be thorough and base on merit.
“We have also received over 5 million applications from proposed N-Power Batch C and we are currently in the process of selecting the qualified beneficiaries coming into the programme.
“I assure all the applicants and Nigerians that the selection process will be transparent,” she said.
She added that, “I wish to reiterate that I have given approval for the payment of stipends for the exited beneficiaries of batches A and B up to the month of June 2020 including that of the independent monitors. Also, the final payment of stipend for Batch B is almost ready for transmission to the office of the Accountant General of the Federation for final checks and payment.
The minister urged state coordinators to discharge their duties diligently and not let her down.
“It is against this background that I urge everyone of you to continue to give in your best to ensure the lives of those we are called to serve are made better.
“We must not lose sight of the fact that each one of the vulnerable persons are not mere numbers or statistics but real people with dreams, hopes, aspirations and a desire to live decent lives in peace and safety,” he submitted.
Business2 months ago
Nneka Ede Purchases Portuguese Football Club, Lusitano Ginasio Clube
News2 months ago
British High Commission to Start Accepting Visa Applications From Nigerians Soon
Business2 months ago
Seplat Appoints Emeka Onwuka as CFO, Executive Director
Forex2 months ago
Naira-USD Exchange Rate to Hit N430 – Report
Finance2 months ago
DSS Arrests EFCC, Acting Chairman, Magu
Government2 months ago
FG Puts School Resumption Plan on Hold as COVID-19 Cases Hit 30,000
Forex2 months ago
Naira Declines Against Pound, Euro After Devaluation
Business2 months ago
TAJBank Joins e-Commerce Giants- Launches Nigeria’s 1st Ethical Online Mall