Connect with us

Business

Association of Aircraft Pilots Goes After Bristow, Air Peace, Gives Them Two Weeks Ultimatum

Published

on

Airline

NAAPE Gives Bristow, Air Peace Two Weeks Ultimatum to Reverse Action

The National Association of Aircraft Pilots and Engineers (NAAPE) has issued a two-week ultimatum to Airlines, which have sacked or planning to sack their Pilots and Engineers, to reverse the action or they would withdraw their service across all Airlines.

Earlier in the week, shortly after NAAPE directed all its members working with Bristow to discontinue their service, the management of Bristow Helicopter immediately announced it would sack about 100 pilots and engineers over a period of few weeks to better manage its weak financial position caused by COVID-19 pandemic.

The announcement was made on the same day, Air Peace, Nigeria’s largest carrier, disclosed that it would also be letting go about 70 pilots due to a similar reason.

Comrade Abednego Galadinma, the President, NAAPE, who spoke on the situation at a press conference held at Airport Hotel in Ikeja Lagos,  said: “We demand that Bristow and Air Peace should immediately recall all sacked Pilots and Aircraft Engineers until all labour issues are resolved or be grounded by NCAA because of attendant safety concerns created by their action.

“As a result of the known consequences of these illegal actions and our commitment to patriotic fervour, we shall be forced to withdraw our guarantee of industrial peace within the industry if this call is not heeded within two weeks.

”Our union will be left with no other option but to withdraw the services of Pilots and Aircraft Maintenance Engineers across all the airlines.’’

Galadinma added that some of the airlines were operating during the lockdown which means the COVID -19 which they are using as an excuse did not affect revenue from essential services like oil and gas.

It would be recalled that Bristow Helicopter had blamed its decision on the disruption of services in the oil and gas sector.

Therefore, Galadinma said “Operators especially Bristow Helicopters have rendered our members redundant despite assurances by government of support for their businesses in return for operators not laying off staff.

“These operators are already running on lean manpower with disproportionate number being expatriates yet, without regards to our expatriates and local content laws and executive order (5) they gave gone ahead to lay off staff under the guise of COVID-19 pandemic.”

“And they cannot be using COVID-19 as an excuse because the cessation of flight operations did not affect essential services like the oil and gas and Bristow and Caverton were operating during the lockdown. In fact, you’d recall that our members were held by the Rivers State Government during the lockdown, so how can they be using COVID-19 as an excuse.

”it is on record that Bristow Helicopters operated throughout the lockdown supporting oil and gas operations with government approval and guarantees service contracts in the same national interest but are now using COVID-19 to force redundancy on our members.

Business

Julius Berger Diversifies into Agro-processing

Published

on

Julius Berger pix

Julius Berger Steps into Agro-processing to Seize Diversification Opportunity

Julius Berger, a leading construction company in Nigeria, said its board of directors has approved a diversification opportunity for the firm in agro-processing.

The approval was done at a meeting held on September 22, the company stated in a statement filed with the Nigerian Stock Exchange on Thursday.

Julius Berger said the approval would help the company capitalised on diversification opportunities in the agro-processing industry, especially with the emerging developments in Nigeria and government ongoing reforms to make the nation self-sufficient.

The statement read in part: “We would advise the exchange and the capital market that the Board of Julius Berger at its meeting held on September 22, 2020 approved a diversification opportunity for the company in agro-processing.

“The Board of Directors and the executive management of Julius Berger strongly believes that this diversification direction would support the continued success of the group in the future and align with the strategic objective of the government to stimulate value creation in Nigeria.

However, Julius Berger reiterated its commitment to maintaining and strengthening its leadership in the nation’s construction sector.

Continue Reading

Business

Some Nigerians Are Charging Ship Owners Illegal $36,000 Per Month for Secure Anchorage

Published

on

Ship Aveon Offshore

Ship Owners Are Paying Illegal $36,000 Per Month for Secure Anchorage in Nigeria

Mr. Rotimi Amaechi, the Minister of Transportation, on Thursday said certain people are charging ship owners illegal $1,200 per day for secure anchorage in Nigeria.

The minister registered his displeasure with continuous patronage of illegal harbours known within the circle as secure anchorage areas.

Amaechi, who spoke at the ‘2020 World Maritime Day Celebration which held at Eko Hotel and Suites in Lagos’ said the issue was unsettling.

He said, “There is a crisis in the maritime sector. The crisis is on the issue of security.

“Today, we have a single individual partnering with the military that is collecting $1,200 to the detriment of shipping companies.

“That one individual is still managing the business with support of other institutions.”

The minister also accused stakeholders of doing nothing to these individuals, saying only the government had the right to step up secure anchorage area

Continue Reading

Business

174,574 Persons Apply For COVID-19 Support Fund Within 48 Hours

Published

on

small-business

Survival Fund: 174,574 Persons Apply For COVID-19 MSME Support

More Micro Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME) has applied for Federal Government financial support under the Nigeria Economic Sustainability Plan.

According to the agency in charge of the program, within 48 hours of opening the registration portal of N75 billion National Survival Fund, a total of 174,574 applications were successfully registered for both the Guaranteed Off-take Stimulus and Survival Fund schemes.

The schemes were instituted to support businesses and individuals negatively impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic.

Mariam Katagum, Minister of State for Industry, Trade and Investment, on Thursday in Abuja said as at “8.30am this (Thursday) morning, total successful registrations stood at 174,574.”

She further stated that “the following states have the highest applications as follows, Kano, 19,895; Kaduna, 13,575; Lagos, 13,640; Katsina: 8,383; Federal Capital Territory, 8,085.

Katagum said about 138,000 applications were registered within the first 24 hours of opening the portal, these applicants created profiles and completed the first stage of registration with Kano, Kaduna and Lagos emerging as lead states.

She explained that all successful applicants were sent SMS and email verification with a list of requirements for the second stage of application which would commence on October 1, 2020.

Applicants will be required to upload details supporting their applications which will be verified and if successful, approved for disbursements,” the minister stated.

Continue Reading

Trending