Connect with us

Business

Arik Claims Its Flights Disrupted by FAAN

Published

on

Arik Airplane

Nigeria’s major carrier Arik Air has claimed its flights were disrupted on Friday by the Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN) against court order that directed the airline should be allowed to operate flights uninterrupted.

Arik said the agency disrupted its operations at the domestic General Aviation Terminal and international terminal of the Murtala Muhammed Airport, as workers of the agency prevented Arik Air from gaining access to the Airside of both terminals.

According to the airline, ‎access to the airside was critical and fundamental to the airline’s operations for moving catering, supplies and other sundry items to the aircraft, as well as the movement of its personnel to ready the aircraft for departure.

“This access is also necessary for the airline to conduct secondary security screening, mandatory security checks and for securing the aircraft at all times in line with International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO) standards and recommended practice,” Arik said.

The airline noted that this ‎was not the first time that FAAN had taken the law into its own hands as it had resorted to such strong-arm tactics against the airline in the past and most recently in May this year.

“It is already in the public domain that Arik Air and FAAN have a lingering disagreement on the long-standing and unsubstantiated claim by FAAN of spurious indebtedness of the airline to the agency which is now before the Federal High Court in Lagos, at the instance of FAAN,” Arik also said.

It said FAN and Arik were reconciling payment accounts between the institutions over the charges paid by Arik Air to date and in this regard ,Arik Air had been providing all the needed assistance and cooperation to conclude the reconciliation process.

“However, FAAN has shown total disregard for the laws of the Federal Republic of Nigeria by carrying out such disruptive action again,” the airline said.

It recalled that in Suit No: FHC/L/CS/1558/2015 brought by FAAN against Arik Air before a Federal High Court in Lagos, the court on 20 June, 2016 had ordered that both parties maintain status quo ante-bellum until Ruling on the Ex-parte is delivered.

The matter was further adjourned to 10 October, 2016.

On several occasions in the past weeks, Arik Air has equally served the order of the court to FAAN since they claimed ignorance of the ruling.

‎”Blatant defiance of the laws of the country and disrespect to the High Court should not be tolerated and we appeal to the judiciary to intervene in this matter and take appropriate action to uphold the laws of the nation..

“This unjustifiable disruption by FAAN has further inconvenienced the travel plans of thousands of passengers who were already affected due to the acute scarcity of aviation fuel (Jet A1) in the recent weeks,” the airline also said.

It apologised to its esteemed passengers for any inconvenience experienced due to this unwarranted disruption and unlawful action by FAAN.

FAAN‎ was not on hand to confirm the incident.

CEO/Founder Investors King Ltd, a foreign exchange research analyst, contributing author on New York-based Talk Markets and Investing.com, with over a decade experience in the global financial markets.

Business

Npower News Today: Npower Salary Update, Npower Latest News on Permanency

Published

on

Latest Npower News Today: Npower Salary Update and Npower Latest News on Permanency

The Federal Government continues to engage private businesses and organisations on the absorption of exited batch A and batch B of the Npower program.

The Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development, Sadiya Umar-Farouq, disclosed this in Abuja.

On continuity and sustenance, the Federal Government allocated N420 billion to Npower and other social investment programmes in the 2021 proposed budget before the National Assembly.

President Muhammadu Buhari also made mention of it in his last speech regarding the #EndSARS protest.

Buhari said, “In furtherance of our inclusiveness agenda, the sum of N420 billion has been provided to sustain the Social Investment Programmes, while N20 billion has also been set aside for the family homes and our Social Housing Programme.”

Speaking on unpaid exited Npower beneficiaries of batches A and B, the minister said “the ministry has directed that opportunity be given to the affected beneficiaries to verify and re-validate their eligibility so that qualified beneficiaries can be paid for their participation in the N-Power Programme.

“Beneficiaries are hereby directed to report to their State Focal Persons immediately with their bank account details including bank statements from March 2020 to date, NYSC Discharge Certificates, birth certificates and other related screening documents.

“The deadline for verification is October 13, 2020. Beneficiaries who fail to attend the verification exercise will forfeit their stipends.”

The fresh verification has now closed, however, the list of the successful candidates for Batch C would be announced soon according to the minister while the Federal Government continues to work on permanent placement for exited Npower beneficiaries.

On fake Npower news flying across social media, Rhoda Ishaku Iliya, the Deputy Director Information of the ministry, said the attention of the ministry has been drawn to series of fake news trending on social media.

She said “the attention of the Federal Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development has been drawn to the fake news trending on social media that President Muhammadu Buhari will broadcast to the nation the absorption of N-Power Volunteers Batch A, into the Federal Civil Service,” the statement reads.

“The Ministry is hereby calling on the public to disregard the message and consider it as fake news. Any information on N-Power or the National Social Investment Programme will be issued through the appropriate Federal Government channels.”

Continue Reading

Business

Soldiers, Police Battle Hoodlums to Prevent Looting of Computer Village

Published

on

nigeria-army

Soldiers and Police Battle Hoodlums Trying to Loot Computer Village

Hoodlums that hijacked the #EndSARS protest and turned it into a broad day robbery have continued to attack business districts, offices and properties of known establishments to loot and destroy years of labour despite the negative impacts of COVID-19 on these businesses.

Soldiers that were later joined by the Nigerian Police Force have been trying to repel hoodlums looking to break into computer village in Ikeja, Lagos State since the #EndSARS protest was hijacked.

According to residents and business owners contacted, the armed looters are still making an attempt to overpower security agents knowing there are valuables in the shops.

Right now they are still making an attempt (to overpower security agents) and considering the sensitivity of the business that we do, we sell very valuable commodities and they understand the liquidity of these products,” said Adeniyi Ojikutu, president, Computer and Allied Products Dealers Association of Nigeria (CAPDAN) said on the phone.

Ojikutu said the hoodlums, who were more than 500 in number, had shot in the air when they were discovered and remained close by for an opportunity to eventually break into the largest computer, mobile devices and ICT accessory market in Africa.

Also, because computer village is within close proximity to the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital (LASUTH), a new BRT station, Jara Mall, the Lagos State Police Command, Lagos State High Court and both the local and international Airports, it becomes imperative to protect it as a break-in by looters may spell disaster for other top establishments in the vicinity.

A resident said ‘Benin Boys’, a group of hoodlums, had earlier tried to invade computer village around 1 am but were prevented by security operatives. However, those that have been making attempts between the morning and afternoon of Friday were the Agege boys.

“The security were using megaphones to shout and warn all of us to stay inside,” said this resident.

Continue Reading

Business

Dangote Sugar Refinery Postpones Board Meeting Amid Social Unrest

Published

on

Dangote sugar refinery

Dangote Sugar Refinery Has Postponed Board Meeting Scheduled for Today Amid Social Unrest

The management of Dangote Sugar Refinery Plc on Friday said they have decided to postpone the company’s board meeting scheduled to hold today October 23, 2020 to a date they will communicate soon.

The management said the decision was due to the ongoing precarious situation in the country, especially the attacks on various establishments since governor Sanwo-Olu imposed a 24-hour curfew on all parts of the state.

In a statement signed by the company secretary, Mrs. Temitope Hassan, Dangote Sugar Refinery said “Further to our announcement made on October 8, 2020, the Company wishes to notify the Exchange and the investing public that the meeting of the Board of Directors of the Company earlier scheduled to be held on Friday October 23, 2020 to consider the draft unaudited financial statement of the Company for the Q3 ended September 30, 2020 has been postponed in view of the current precarious situation in the country.

“The new date for the meeting will be communicated as soon as normalcy returns. The Closed Period which has already commenced will continue till 24 hours after the filling of the Results.

“No insider of the Company, including its Directors, Employees, Advisers and Consultants and their connected persons may deal directly or indirectly in the Shares of the Company during the Closed Period.

All Dangote Sugar Refinery Plc Insiders have been duly informed.”

Continue Reading

Trending