Connect with us

Government

Ambode in Trouble as Lagos Assembly Probes Purchase of N7 Billion Buses

Published

on

lekki
  • Ambode in Trouble as Lagos Assembly Probes Purchase of N7 Billion Buses

The Former Governor of Lagos State, Akinwunmi Ambode, may not be out of troubled waters yet as the Lagos State House of Assembly on Tuesday, inaugurated a committee to probe the purchase of 820 buses at the cost of N7 billion by his administration.

The Assembly explained that it was important to investigate the purchase of 820 Mass Transit buses which was a reduction of the 5000 buses originally proposed to be purchased by the Ambode administration; adding that the purchase was made despite protests by the Assembly.

The motion titled, “Lagos State House of Assembly Motion Number 2” was brought before the House by Hon. Gbolahan Yishawu, representing Eti Osa 2 Constituency.

According to him, the House noted that in September 2017, Ambode who was present at the executive/legislative parley held at Golden Tulip in Festac Town told the Law makers that 5,000 buses would be bought by his government.

Yishawu went on to reveal that Ambode proposed a budget of N17 billion for the buses but this proposal was not approved by the assembly.

The lawmaker also said that Ambode, without the consent of the House, went ahead to make the purchases regardless.

He said, “In the 2018 and 2019 budgets, the state government proposed N24 billion and N7 billion respectively, but these were not approved.

“The state government still went ahead to import 820 buses at N7 billion, and out of them, 520 are still awaiting clearance at the ports.”

He added that the House was worried that 520 buses purchased with tax payers’ money, were still waiting to be cleared from bonded warehouse.

He suggested that the house should set up an ad-hoc committee to investigate all issues relating to the purchase of the buses, including the real cost of the buses.

“The State Government requested waivers for the importation of buses and it was not granted. The value of the buses overrated. Some of the buses are still in the ports and they are attracting demurrage.

“N45 million would be spent on the total purchase of the buses and we need to prevent such an occurrence in the future,” he said.

In his submission, Speaker of the House, Hon. Mudashiru Obasa said that the expenditure had been done already and that the House need to prevent waste.

“The vehicles are still in the ports and they have been there for almost a year. The State will continue to suffer if we allow the buses to stay in the ports.

“We should be the regulators and transporters; the State should not operate the buses.

“How much we are giving out should be addressed. We should get the buses to the roads and save the states from further wastes,” he said.

A committee was eventually set up by the House to address the issue. The committee headed by Hon. Fatai Mojeed, representing Ibeju Lekki 1 Constituency included: Hon. Olarenwaju Afinni, (Lagos Island 2), Hon. Gbolahan Yashiwu,(Eti Osa 2), Hon. Bisi Yusuf (Alimosho 1), Hon. Yinka Ogundimu (Agege 2), Hon. Rasheed Makinde (Ifako Ijaiye 2) and Hon. Mojisola Miranda (Apapa 1).

CEO/Founder Investors King Ltd, a foreign exchange research analyst, contributing author on New York-based Talk Markets and Investing.com, with over a decade experience in the global financial markets.

Government

#EndSARS Protesters Kill as Security Operatives Open Fire at Lekki Toll Gate

Published

on

Security Operatives Open Fire on #EndSARS Protesters at Lekki Toll Gate

Nigerian security operatives deployed to Lekki Toll Gate following the announcement of a 24-hour curfew by Lagos State Governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, opened fire on peaceful protesters on Tuesday, October 20, 2020.

According to numerous accounts of protesters, the army started shooting even before the curfew announced to commence by 9 pm on Tuesday.

Continue Reading

Government

Lagos Imposes 24 Hour Curfew as #EndSARS Protest Turns Violent

Published

on

Sanwo-Olu Imposes 24 Hour Curfew in Lagos as Hoodlums Hijacked #EndSARS Protests

The Executive Governor of Lagos, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, on Tuesday, imposed a 24-hour curfew on all parts of the state as peaceful #EndSARS protest turned violence amid the destruction of properties and lives.

In a statement released by the governor through his official Twitter account @jidesanwoolu, the governor said “I have watched with shock how what began as a peaceful #EndSARS protest has degenerated into a monster that is threatening the well-being of our society.

“Lives and limbs have been lost as criminals and miscreants are now hiding under the umbrella of these protests to unleash mayhem on our state. As a government that is alive to its responsibility and has shown a commitment to the movement #ENDSARS, we will not watch and allow anarchy in our dear state.”

“I, therefore, hereby impose a 24-hour curfew on all parts of the State as from 4pm today, 20th October,2020. Nobody, except essential service providers and first responders must be found on the streets.”

This was after reports of numerous attacks and destruction of properties by certain elements that the Nigerian youths claimed were sponsored by politicians to disrupt their agitation and invalidate the entire protest.

On Monday, prisoners were freed in Benin, Edo State by unknown individuals either sponsored by politicians or part of the protesters that gone rogue or with different agenda.

In Abuja, a group of thugs (sponsored or not) burnt several vehicles claimed to be parked by peaceful protesters while in Lagos, the story is not different as unscrupulous elements have been stealing and attacking people.

With a 24-hour curfew now in place in Lagos and Edo States, the youths agitating may be forced to eventually meet with the government to discuss their demands and implementation methodology.

Continue Reading

Government

Buhari Bows to Pressure, Overhauls Murderous Police Unit, SARS

Published

on

FG, NPF Dissolve SARS Amid Nationwide Protests

President Muhammadu Buhari has finally bowed to pressure to disband the murderous Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) unit of the Nigeria Police Force (NPF).

In a statement released on Sunday, Mohammed Adamu, Nigeria’s Inspector General of Police, said the Special Anti-Robbery Squad unit had been abolished “with immediate effect”. He, however, said SARS officers would be redeployed to other police units, formations and commands that the Nigerian people are saying also needs reform.

 

This was after President Buhari had said he met with the Inspector General of Police on Saturday to discuss reform of the UNIT against a complete overhaul being pushed by millions of harassed, dehumanised and disrespected Nigerian youths.

The statement further aggravated Nigerian youths, who encouraged Nigerians abroad to stage protests across the nation’s embassies in a move to draw international media and organisations to the plight of youths in Africa’s largest economy. Sensing chaos amid expected economic recession in the third quarter, President Buhari and the Nigeria Police Force quickly dissolved the murderous anti-robbery squad to force decorum and calm millions of angry Nigerian youths.

Nigerian youths, both celebrities, influencers and regular people, have used their social media backed with action to compel the Nigerian government, known for blatant disrespect, disregard and the use of counter-protests to suppress and discredit dissenting voice, to finally put to an end a police unit that has killed several youths for owning an iPhone, having a laptop, driving a car or even looking good.

This is a win for the Nigerian youths and sent a strong message to the leaders that youths will no longer tolerate their excesses and henceforth would be demanding accountability, transparency and the right implementation of the rule of law regardless of class, status or position.

To the youths, it validated what the majority have been clamouring for, UNITY that transcends tribes and religions. If Nigerian youths stick together and continue to demand change in one voice with civil disobedience, we will eventually have a Nigeria we all can be proud of.

Congratulations to US!.

Continue Reading

Trending